Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 / ea82 engine swapping question

Say you had an '89 Loyale ea82 mpfi car with a bad engine rattle, probably a thrown rod.

Now, I have an ea81 engine from an '84 Brat. Would it be possible to swap into this Loyale and maintain all the engine electronics and mpfi that is already there?

I know the slight differences between the ea81 and ea82 flywheels.

Would this require anything, like a custom intake manifold to bolt the mpfi stuff to the ea81 heads?

ok thanks

I just cut up one 84 Brat parts car,

and I have my 83 Brat that still drives- waiting for 5-speed swap to be started/completed (I just need a pressure plate/TOB)

And I was considering this '89 Loyale for sale for $200 with the engine problem..

ok thanks

I just cut up one 84 Brat parts car,

and I have my 83 Brat that still drives- waiting for 5-speed swap to be started/completed (I just need a pressure plate/TOB)

And I was considering this '89 Loyale for sale for $200 with the engine problem..

You know the ea82 might just be ticking it's tick. This is easily fixable and is caused by low oil pressure. If the "rod" you're talking about it have possibly been thrown is a "pushrod" as in a pushrod engine, you need not worry about that. I don't think any ea82s were OHV engines..