Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical problems and codes

Hi All

been awhile since I posted here, sold my ea81 wagon and bought a GF8 1994 WRX wagon (aussie model). I had some issue with the altenator light coming on so got a new one and that is now fine. In the process discovered the previous owner had removed the check engine light globe behind the dash. Now the CEL is staying on and I am getting five codes and would like some help with ideas to fix them

Code 45 - Pressure sensor - was going to remove and clean solenoid with a bit of carby cleaner?

Code 44 Turbo charging pressure control output signal )wastegate solenoid? - again a carby cleaner?

Code 42 - Idle Switch - should I remove and clean it and clean uop throttle body

Code 12 - starter signal - I replaced the main relay up under the dashboard as the previous owner had it in the car, apparently a know issue with this model

Code 11- Crankshaft Position Sensor - pulled it and it has some physical damage amd ap[pear to be out of resistance specs

Finally and the wierdest one

Code 38 - ATCMM signal - i think this is to do with tourque control for automatics? This car is manual.

This leads me to question wether the ECU is stuffed or someone tried to remap it and stuffed it. Happy to go through and check all these things but have a feeling they will still be in there when i put it all back togeteher and it will be ECU related - any comments thoughts welcome

It may be remapped, but first when you get that many codes you look for a common denominator. To me that would be the harness connectors or a bad weak ground. Since it is old enough I would run a new engine ground for the heck of it, then check all the connectors are clean and dry first.

in regards to the 45 and 44 i noticed the waste gate solenoid has three vacuum hoses, the bottom one is not connected to anything and I presume that this not being connected is what is causing this code. My question is what should it connect too?

Well a clean up of all connectors and grounds, diconnected battery for a few hours, cleaned ECU circuit board and Crankshaft sensor and now the only code i am getting is 35 which is purge control solenoid valve, given the mess in that side of the car it's no surprise that is the problem, can I use a purge control valve from a same era rex but an sti?