Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ben has a coolant leak :(

Hey peoples, I hope everybody's holidays were fun and filled with snow. Mine unfortunately weren't, so I haven't had chance to play in the white fluff yet.

That being said though, bringing this back to the subject, poor Ben has yet another issue; he's leaking coolant. Slightly. I wanted to post this up because I have had a chance briefly to peek under the car and look around for a likely source, but I still haven't been able to narrow it down. I'm thinking maybe somebody here can cue in and perhaps point out something I haven't thought of as of yet.

He is slowly dripping, and the drips are coming off of the very bottom (naturally) of the inner timing belt cover. One drip coming off at dead center, another drip slightly more towards the driver's side. While I was under the car I looked at the lower radiator hose and it is very old, but does not appear to be leaking at all. The upper hose looks fine as well. The trans lines, I can only see the upper line clearly and it looks okay as well.

I figure it might be the water pump however I can see the weep hole from under the car and it doesn't appear to be leaking.

If I figure correctly for drips coming from that location, there's only a couple viable possibilities, and that about covers all bases, does it not?

Upper, lower, trans lines, and the pump.

I am going to get new hoses (should I really go OEM for the hoses?) and put them in, the ones on there are 18 years old or so and look terrible so I figure even if that doesn't solve the problem, it is preventative.

If that doesn't fix the leak, I guess my line of action after that should be the trans lines? Are those a bi*** to change? Do those even run coolant through them or do they run trans fluid?

And then after that I guess ultimately it's time to do the water pump

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

When you replace the bottom hose, also replace the O-ring on the pipe that leads into the pump. If it isn't leaking now, it will be when you get through horsing around with the hose.

AH! I had forgotten about that O-ring. I haven't even looked at the pipe. That might be whats leaking. Thank you! Gonna go check that out

Got a chance to check him out today, finally.

Pulled out the alternator, threw the AC bracket aside.

He seems to be leaking from that pipe that comes out of the top of the waterpump.

Just going to replace the whole pump to be safe, it's original and should be changed out anyway.

While I was rummaging through there, I ditched the mechanical fan. I've also gotten rid of the A/C condenser in front of the radiator. What I'm wondering now is if it's possible to get rid of the A/C compressor completely. Is there a way to rig up the mounting plates to still have the alternator in it's spot?

I'm thinking there is, I'm just not sure if there would be enough adjustment in it to get the belt tight enough to compensate for the lack of the A/C pulleys...

That would be the O-ring leaking.

Can you ditch the mechanical fan safely? I am not certain, as my Loyale has a much simpler setup (single electric fan, not dual mech/elec) but I understood that the mechanical fan is the main fan on cars so equipped, and the electric fan comes on with the AC, which it sounds like you are removing? Or is it the other way around?

The electric fan on the Dual Fans Setup, not only comes on with the A/C, it also works as an Auxiliary fan and comes on when the Thermo Switch on the Radiator sends the Signal.

I Kindly suggest you to Click on my Avatar, you'll reach a List of my Writeups and the First one there is all about those Coolin' fans and some easy solutions to Upgrade the Coolin' System.

Kind Regards.

...He seems to be leaking from that pipe that comes out of the top of the waterpump...

There's a 90º Elbow hose with 5/8" diameter, that is usually the Culprit for coolant Leaks on that Area.

Anyhow, I Kindly Suggest you to Replace it (and its hose Clamps) along the Waterpump you want to replace.

Kind Regards.

That would be the O-ring leaking.

Can you ditch the mechanical fan safely? I am not certain, as my Loyale has a much simpler setup (single electric fan, not dual mech/elec) but I understood that the mechanical fan is the main fan on cars so equipped, and the electric fan comes on with the AC, which it sounds like you are removing? Or is it the other way around?

From what I've gathered on a couple of threads on here, the dual fan set up is for cars with A/C. Which I think most of us have. On these cars, the clutch fan is the main fan for the air conditioner. The electrical fan is the main fan to cool the coolant.

Cars without a/c only have the electrical fan? I could be wrong.

Either way, so far I haven't noticed any temp change on my dash gauge at all without the clutch fan.

I have noticed I can hear the engine much better (sounds awesome) and it is more responsive. (Very slight change, but noticeable).

-Loyale2.7 This 90* you mention

Is it part of the upper pipe going into the water-pump?

The only hoses I know of are the narrow trans lines, the hose going to the thermostat, and the hose going to the waterpump. Can't picture a 90* in there somewhere.. :-\

Is the one that goes to the Heather core Pipes, from the Waterpump's top.

Is hard to see without removing the A/C compressor.

Kind Regards.

Oh yes! Thank you, forgot about that. I will check that tomorrow. I know exactly what hose you're talking about.