Ultimate Subaru Message Board

She's got the Cancer!

So, I just bought my BRAT and surprise surprise it's got some pretty bad cancer spots on the undercarriage. I do not know how to weld, nor do I know anyone who can. SO, with that being said, is there a welder out there who can help me, or can anyone give me another alternative to fix these cancer spots? THANK YOU!!!!

Or watch for another body and use it as a parts car. Usually you can drive it a long time with the cancer as long as you don't have a state safety inspection requirement. Have fun with it and don't sweat the rust too bad until it really causes a problem.

No, I don't have any pics right now. I took it in to the mechanic to have it looked over so that I could know (after the fact of course) what I was getting myself into and I saw it when it was up on a lift. There is a possibility I could get some in the next couple of weeks though.

Also, this guy at the auto parts store was telling me that there is a way to fix it using fiber glass. Does anyone know anything about that?

you can patch stuff up with fiberglass if it's not structural. like say a fender or door skin...

but the way I've seen them rust out underneath...fiberglass would be a superficial "fix"...depending on pics (hint hint:-p) a welded repair that retains (or improves) structural integrity would be the way to go

Looks like you are in my area. I do all kinds of custom stuff - from minor repairs to custom engine swaps, lifts, cosmetic repair, etc. I have MIG, TIG, and plasma at my disposal. I specialize in the older Subaru's and Subaru's in general. I have two of my own EA81's, etc. Send me a message or an email - cropperr(at)gmail(dot)com if you are still in need of repair help or guidance.

GD

• 3 weeks later...
The clutch in my BRAT needs to be replaced. I was quoted 575 by a Subaru mechanic here in Portland. That seems high considering the kits only cost 100-120. Does anyone know of a good mechanic who will charge less in the Portland area?:(

Go to General Disorder's, he knows what he is doing. That's where I get all my work done at.