Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts interchange question for G1/G2 Legacy

I have a couple of G1 Legacys, a 90 sedan and a 91 wagon, the latter which I just bought.

I am in the process of going through it to see what it needs, ordering parts, etc.

I'm ordering things I need to buy new (timing belt kit) and looking in the U Pull It yard for a few other things.

I lucked into a 90 wagon from which I bought a few things, and noticed it's a FWD, as opposed to AWD, which both of my cars are.

I'm wondering if it's worth my trouble to try to get the tranny (4EAT) even though it's a FWD rather than AWD. Would there be any way to make the FWD unit work in my car, if needed at some point?

Also ran across a 95 with a brand new looking radiator, not even dirty, though it's an aftermarket part, not OE. I see that the 90 through 94 is listed as taking a different part. Wondering if anyone knows what the differences might be, would that 95 part work in my early car? Not an expert on these cars myself...

The reason for my interest in the FWD tranny is that the car shows just over 100K, which is pretty low for these cars in yards, in my experience. Often they seem to have a lot of miles, often more than 200K.

Thanks in advance for any help with what may sound like dumb questions...

I'm wondering if it's worth my trouble to try to get the tranny (4EAT) even though it's a FWD rather than AWD. Would there be any way to make the FWD unit work in my car, if needed at some point?
sure. remove the AWD auto and install the FWD auto. It bolts right up and is plug and play, you don't even need the TCU or anything - the AWD TCU will run the FWD trans just fine.

with brand new subaru radiators from radiatorbarn.com for $70-$90 shipped to my door, not worth my time to mess around saving a few bucks on used radiators. but if you wanted to check you can usually compare pictures in listings on ebay, rockauto.com, thepartsbin.com, and other online forums.

Edited by grossgary

Thank you very much, Grossgary.

Great information to have!

One of the reasons I'm interested in the spare tranny is that I noticed what I believe was a bit of torque bind in the newly acquired wagon. I have only just gotten the car, so haven't driven it much, but when I pulled into my driveway, I felt a bit of shudder...

So, first thing I am in process of doing is a fluid drain and refill. I figure I will do maybe 3. The tranny actually felt good on the road, with smooth, firm shifts, etc. but the fluid was old and smelly...

The wagon has 150K on it, and I will be planning to do front seals, timing belt, water pump, etc. Is there anything else I should be doing as part of that timing belt job at the same time?

Engine seems to run well the little that I have driven it.

Any suggestions as to what else I should be doing initially?

Would be interested in your experience as to how long things like ball joints, and such last.

I just did a rear wheel bearing in my sedan at 120K because it had gotten very noisy.

Thanks again.

Edited by notnowles

If it is a brand new rad get it, especially if it has coolant in it, rinse it out asap.

PCV Valves.

Timing belts all the seals, and shcek the back of your oilpans for oil leaks, if so, you have seperator plates leaking.

100K on a subaru is just broken in.

Thank you, Nipper.

I have read about the leaking plates but so far have been lucky with the 90 sedan. The only leaks it has at the moment are vc gaskets, which I will do soon. (I did all the front seals on it when I did the timing belt some years ago)

The wagon is still an unknown commodity but I couldn't resist it because it's a desert southwest car so it has a really nice body.

I have decided I like the G1 cars quite a bit and had been watching for a solid one, so coming across the wagon seemed like a stroke of fortune.

The 90 sedan has seen lots of winter salt, and looks it...

But it goes great!