Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I found a curb in a snowbank...

Found it with the drivers front rim of my 83 GL wagon while sliding around a corner to be exact. The rim is toast but more importantly now my car wants to turn left if I take my hands of the wheel. I pulled the the trashed rim off and inspected for damage.. nothing busted or bent as far as I can see. However after putting my spare on it still goes hard to the left if I don't hold her straight. So I have a couple questions...will any of the steering parts..tie rods etc off my 87 wagon donor car fit my 83? Second any Ideas on what went wrong ? I don't have any wobble/jerking in the steering wheel and no odd noises. I'm wondering if the alignment could just have been knocked that far out or if it is something more serious.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Jeremy.S

did you check for bent tie rod or a bent shock?

did it knock steering wheel center off from where it was driving down road before or is same position just with left pull?

Camber and toe will cause pull. so one or the other. shock bent, or tie rod bent you could see either i would think.

radius rod is another.

Can you take a side pic of the car when the tires are pointed straight ahead

Edited by bheinen74

Hey ,

Tie rod and shock looked good , but might bear further inspection. The steering wheel is quite a bit off from center now "turned as if I were starting a right turn" and it wasn't before. As for pics I will probably have to wait for daylight tomorrow unless I can get it in my buddys garage for a few.

Jeremy.S

Actually, front toe will only effect tire wear and steering wheel. I can make it more likely to grab ruts, but it won't cause a pull. Camber and caster will, if they vary from side to side. Check you're strut. I've spent hours trying to figure out what went wrong on a Cougar. Finally checked the strut again, and caught it at just the right angle to see it. Ever so slight bend, amplified by the length of the strut. Also, you might want to check out you wheel bearing. With the wheel on, and the car lifted, try to rock the wheel in and out (not side to side, as you steering will move, grab the top and bottom).

Update,

After reading the advice given here a careful inspection with a good shop light revealed that the round bar leading toward the back of the car is bent and badly so. It's the short bar that hooks to the back and bolts up under the drivers floor area. More questions now lol. Is this part available new and if so what do I ask for when I start calling around looking for it? If not will it interchange with an 87 EA82 wagon as I have 1 for parts. I took a few pics but my phone and computer apparently aren't on speaking terms atm.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Jeremy.S

that is the radius rod.

1231659258-1-1.jpg

subaru parts cat calls it "link"\

Hey! I've done that, too! "Banana" is a good description. :banana: Ok, not THAT banana, but...you get the idea.

Winter time. "Warm" day. Roads were wet leaving work, sun set on the way home. Road stopped being wet, but the H2O was still there--albeit in another form.

Not a bad repair, just requires some elbow grease and a little real grease. A 12, 14, and 17mm wrench. I think the brake line needs an 8mm. Replace the round part and the flat part--it's way easier to do them as a unit than try to separate what may well be two bent pieces that both can be replaced for not too much dough. Even if the flat part isn't bent, it's a b*tch to separate from the radius rod.