Ultimate Subaru Message Board

yet another Speedo question

I've got a '98 Legacy Outback 5 Spd Manual.

The speedometer / odometer decided to quit last week, the fuel gauge died a couple of months ago.

(I can live without either one but can’t live without both)

EDIT: The car still seems to run fine .. I have a CEL but have had it for quite some time anyway.

The Speedo has died in a manner consistent with the '99 Speedo issue, I've changed out the gauge cluster with one from a wrecker but there was no difference.

I’m in the process of cleaning the contacts etc.. in the hopes that that might fix things (it is out of the car now anyway).

Is there a link to a detailed description of this job?

If that does not work is there anything else I should try before I replace the Speed Sensor?

Am I correct in believing that there is only one speed sensor for the manual transmission? If so does anyone know what part number I would be after?

Edited by a-marshal

comes strait out of ecu to cluster may branch off to cruise but is ereavant to opperation check for dash power and ground there is a fuse just for cluster sounds like spedo is speed sensor tip heat the side of trans gentaly buy sensor to soften factory lock tight befor trying to remove sensor will save greif sometimes is very hard to remove