Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 outback will not stay running

I have 2001 outback legacy 4cyl. I disconnected the battery and now the vehicle will not stay running. I had a check engine light on for the fuel cap I thought That is y I disconnected the battery. The check engine light is gone but the car won't run. It ran great before this 23 mpg no warning lights. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh the vehicle was not running just disconnected. Waited about 5 min then re connected. Car starts. Runs at 2k them idels and dies. I can keep it running but scared to try and drive. It any where. The check engine light does not come on when the car starts to choke out. Fuel pressure is good I can feel the line and good gas flow

ive seen fuel pumps fail like this they will start the car and run it for a few then as it warms up i fails. when it fails see if you can start the car on carb cleaner. if you can then you are not getting fuel. doesnt mean it is nessicarily your pump it could also be your regulator. well its at the shop now. tell us what they find. if it is your pump it is a pretty quick and easy job. last one i did took me 30 mins

ive seen fuel pumps fail like this they will start the car and run it for a few then as it warms up i fails. when it fails see if you can start the car on carb cleaner. if you can then you are not getting fuel. doesnt mean it is nessicarily your pump it could also be your regulator. well its at the shop now. tell us what they find. if it is your pump it is a pretty quick and easy job. last one i did took me 30 mins

I would still like to know the original cause for failure. Has anyone done a fuel pressure test and tested the pressure regulator? A bad regulator can cause this too, but first the simple (read free) check of the hoses.