Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent Horn and ABS light

Seems to only happen for 10 seconds in the first minute of driving our 2001 Forester with 112k miles on her. The ABS light will come on, and the horn will honk itself at about half power, then both ABS and horn turns off. Horn will function fine if I then honk it myself.

Any ideas?

very weird. Certainly could be a wiring or grounding problem.

Perhaps have the alternator and battery (plus battery CABLES) checked.

I've had odd behavior with a battery with a dead cell before(ABS and CEL/misfire codes). With the horn involved, could be the security system is freaking out with some kinda voltage spikes/dips?

odd

More symptom clarification.

Definitely intermittent, and usually only if car is cold.

It might not be the horn, the noise sounds almost like a buzzer...about half the decibels of the car horn. That noise stops after 10 seconds or so, but the ABS light stays on for the duration of that particular trip.

I know I have a rear wheel bearing growling that I have to replace soon, could that be making the ABS light up.......is there any associated buzzer in that system?

(yes, will check battery and wires this weekend)

More symptom clarification.

Definitely intermittent, and usually only if car is cold.

It might not be the horn, the noise sounds almost like a buzzer...about half the decibels of the car horn. That noise stops after 10 seconds or so, but the ABS light stays on for the duration of that particular trip.

I know I have a rear wheel bearing growling that I have to replace soon, could that be making the ABS light up.......is there any associated buzzer in that system?

(yes, will check battery and wires this weekend)

OK, locate the abs pump (maybe front/right, sorta under the power steering tank - not sure on a Forrie), have someone start the car, and feel the pump. It may be buzzing/vibrating. Or just try to listen and pinpoint the sound.

Ok, thx, will do. and then will report back here. My bro thinks it is the ABS Modulator buzzing when the light comes on. He thinks it might be a sensor going bad that is triggering the light and the modulator buzz. So first thing this weekend, I will check the ABS diagnostic connector to see what it tells me. Will report back here.

Edited by unibrook

I checked the ABS code via the little black connector and the wire leads that were dangling above left of my clutch pedal, but no code flashed out. Since the ABS light had not come on for a few days, I guess it cleared itself out.

Will watch and wait to see if it acts up again.

• 2 months later...

Just to help other searchers, I think I found the fix after reading some other threads. The symptom got gradually worse, and recently was happening almost every day. As soon as I started to drive, the ABS modulator would buzz for 10 seconds, then the ABS light would come on and stay on for the duration of the trip....and the buzz would stop at the same time as the light came on.

Thx to Porcupine's suggestions, I focused on the two ground wires coming out of the big wire harness that connects via a big connector to the ABS modulator. These 2 ground wires connect to a bolt that also holds a horn just below the air snorkel. I couldn't get the ABS connector itself off, so I just left it as is.

I also just skipped the Ohm testing and went to work on the ground wire eyelet, bolt and ground base with a wire brush. The ground wire eyelet and bolt were a fair bit corroded. Then I dielectric greased the parts, bolted it back up......and FIXED! No more buzz and ABS light. Thx!!!

:clap:

Edited by unibrook