Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have replaced both front axles recently and I know they are at a bad angle because of my lift but i don't think the noise is coming from them (sound still there right after changing them). It's by the front drivers side wheel and I just had to clamp down my axle boot (original clamp came off from Browns Camp). The noise has been happening for a while, its just gotten quieter. You can hear it at about 5-10mph then it goes away. I am completely boggled.

Help me out!

Garrett

it goes away after 10mph... Wheel bearing is more high pitch i thought?

I could switch the tires, but thats a pain in the rump roast. My jack doesn't lift my car high enough so i have to put a jack on the control arm. Could it be that my camber is bad (because it is)?

Could be a dry wheel bearing. Mine was doing that after some flood crossings. (look up "mary's river flooding philomath" on youtube to see some. no subaru footage though)

Anyhow, the bearing was pretty new, and thunking so loud and rythmic I was convinced it was a pinion tooth. Drained trans...no shavings.....pulled the axles and bearings were dry. passenger side outer bearing was the one making the clunks.

Take it for a drive, and see if you can make the noise change by loading it up side to side (swerving back and forth in a parking lot.......don't drink first....you may need to explain what you're doing;) )