Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Converting 1983 Gl carter weber to a weber 2 bbl?????????

I have a 1983 Gl hatchback classic case of the carter weber bad news...

I have a new weber two barrel but the adapter plate that came with it is for a hitachi two bbl... how can I get ahold of the correct adapter plate to make the weber 2bbl transition???

The real Gurus will probably be of better help but I have never heard of an adapter to go from the one barrel to the weber two barrel. You could probably have one made if you know someone who can fabricate stuff like that. Probably Cheaper to get an intake from a Hitachi carbed car.

You need to source the intake from a hitachi, and throw your old intake away.

New intake gaskets, from Subaru only, don't use the paper aftermarket ones they leak.

Good chance the intake bolts will snap off, and then you will be stuck pulling engine out and taking to a machine shop to get borken studs out.

Secret, is to spray pb blaster on it for many days, then run the engine so it gets warm, then try to remove the intake bolts on a warm intake, not hot, but warm.

When reassemble, use new bolts and antisieze.

Don't forget to plug the water inlet on the intake base of carb front.

You need to source the intake from a hitachi, and throw your old intake away.

New intake gaskets, from Subaru only, don't use the paper aftermarket ones they leak.

Good chance the intake bolts will snap off, and then you will be stuck pulling engine out and taking to a machine shop to get borken studs out.

Secret, is to spray pb blaster on it for many days, then run the engine so it gets warm, then try to remove the intake bolts on a warm intake, not hot, but warm.

When reassemble, use new bolts and antisieze.

Don't forget to plug the water inlet on the intake base of carb front.

I've never had to plug it. the adapter and gasket cover it.

but yes, you need to find a hitachi intake... I'm doing the same thing right now on a '84 engine with 106k on it....

I've been lucky in that this is the first CW carb one I've ever had!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am a soobie mechano newbie. have an85 gl with a Cw carb. Needs a rebuild. The circuit going in shorted out, a red wire going in to a solenoid?

Also, I live at 8000 ft. In Colorado, and the fuel/ air mixture is factory sealed.

I'll send you a power tool, or a dozen red roses if you're a Subette. No, you'd want a power tool, too.