Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leak driving me crazy.....help!

I have a ej22. It is burning a lot of oil. No drip or visible leaks.

Smokes a little I replace the value guide seals and still burning. Pulled the PVC looks fine. I replaced the spark plugs the other day and the left side looked fine but the right side looked really bad. Could the rings on the pistons be bad and allowing the oil to burn up that way?

Thanks

The PCV may look fine, but it's the most likely culprit. They go bad with no warning. It's only about a $10 part from a dealer: you don't want to go aftermarket.

Oh, and clean out your breather hoses too.

Edited by ccrinc
addition

There are some things aftermarket that are fine on a Sube, and some things that just don't work right. PCV valves are one of them. THermostats, nearly anything electronic (except stereo), gaskets: all fit into the go Genuine or go home category.

Maybe it's the quality of the part that makes the difference, but at that price vs. a new engine, I wouldn't take the chance.

Emily

Whats the difference? I always just buy these from the parts store. . . no good?

I thought they were pretty much just a little check valve.

I just installed an after market PCV into my 95, 2.2 motor. Like said, it is pretty much just a check valve. New one works just fine. OEM vs after market looked exactly the same. For me, the dealer is too far away, and in a high traffic area, and so not worth the hassle going OEM. Also, too inexpensive an item to buy through the internet. Also, a bad PCV won't ruin an engine, just makes the motor run kinda crappy, and gas mileage goes down.