Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changed battery now CEL on and car stalling.

Hey guys and girls, I'm new here, but figured this was as good a question as any to serve as my first post. First of all, I drive an '06 Impreza 2.5i.

On Thursday while at work my car died and I had to get someone to give me a jump. After work when I went to drive home it started up alright, and I made it back home (35 miles). But then yesterday I went to go to the store and it almost didn't start on me (barely turned over) so I knew it was time to go get a new battery.

I took it down to Advance Auto and got a battery and had them throw it in there for me. After about 5 minutes of driving with the new battery in the CEL came on and the car started randomly stalling out while shifting. Not a hard stall more like it just shuts off completely. I took it back and the code coming up is p0506.

I checked and I don't see any loose vacuum hoses or anything like that but at the same time I'm no mechanic. I just don't see how this could happen after a battery change. I've had this car for 3 years and I've never had a single problem until this. Anyone know what the root cause of this is or what I should do? Help please!

Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

P0506 - Idle Air Control System RPM Lower Than Expected

A vacuum leak

An air restriction in the intake air path or exhuast

A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve

Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body

Internal engine problem

Failed PCM

When was your air filter last replaced? Your IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) might be gunked up and need cleaning. New PCV valve might help--and clean out any gunk in the hoses leading to it.

Good luck.

I took the battery out and left it out for about an hour.

Then I put it back in, let the car idle for about 15 minutes, and it seems to be fine now. It seems like it's still idling lower than it should be, but it's running just fine and the CEL/stalling have stopped.

I'm guessing it was nothing major. I will update though if something else happens. Thanks for your help!