Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this the END for my 86 Subaru XT????

I acquired my brother's 86 XT back in 1995--1.8l AC, 5 speed manual. Have been driving it ever since for my daily commute.

A frame member gave away this morning and now the left rear wheel is cocked. I am pondering getting this fixed, but the rest of the frame and body is pretty rusted.

Had this car a long time, gave it lots of tender loving care and it has served me well. Any advice on what I should do? Is frame repair worth the expense? I know it's "just a car" but I really feel bad about my "trusty subaru" not being driven again. Other than the rust and this latest problem, the engine, transmission, electrical and everything else is working fine.

I think it was just the bolt. :eek:

Ive seen this "tube" under the chassis of many older soobs, how much difference is there between the models?

I only really ask because an artist friend of my mothers is looking to pick up what I believe is an XT based on how he described it. It apparently has some running issue and has been sitting for a few years out in the country. If this is a common issue, rust is very likely, (I haven't seen an XT around here for 10 years or more) finding replacement chassis parts will not be easy unless I can take some from other models.

Sorry to thread-jack. :drunk:

Any 4WD EA82 will have the correct Trailing arm assy and Tube (You will need to swap over the 5lug stuff if it is an XT6)

Pretty much everything chassis wise from an XT (MPFI EA82) will swap over from an EA82 GL.

Chances of your tube being this bad might be hit or miss. My '83 Wagon which I'm sure sat for some time, has a solid tube still.

I think it was just the bolt. :eek:

Ive seen this "tube" under the chassis of many older soobs, how much difference is there between the models?

I only really ask because an artist friend of my mothers is looking to pick up what I believe is an XT based on how he described it. It apparently has some running issue and has been sitting for a few years out in the country. If this is a common issue, rust is very likely, (I haven't seen an XT around here for 10 years or more) finding replacement chassis parts will not be easy unless I can take some from other models.

Sorry to thread-jack. :drunk:

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I am going to try and post a picture of this, but basically the tube has broken at the point where it passes through the front to rear frame member. The end result is that the trailing arm is moved so that the wheel assembly becomes cocked, as is shown in the pictures.

Is this an item that can be replaced? Some of the comments refer to it as being "easily replaceable", but on my car it all looks like everything is welded. Is this a part available from somewhere? Is there a source on the internet? Thanks for any advice.

As long as something on the body of the car isn't broken, it's all replaceable. I've had every part of the suspension unbolted from my car at one point or another...

Get a pic posted up so we can see what's going on.

Thanks guys for the great info and pictures and ideas!

I am at work now, but in a few hours I will post a few snapshots to give everyone a better idea of what is broken. Stand by----

It would be great if I could replace the entire tube and bracket(s) assembly--if it's still available somewhere.....

Thanks guys for the great info and pictures and ideas!

I am at work now, but in a few hours I will post a few snapshots to give everyone a better idea of what is broken. Stand by----

It would be great if I could replace the entire tube and bracket(s) assembly--if it's still available somewhere.....

What I have gathered from my short time with this group, locating a part shouldn't be a problem. ;)

You will not be able to buy a "New" one, unless you go to the dealer, there might be new old stock. But you would be paying Hundreds of dollars for all the pieces.

A used one will be easy to come by on here, ask in the wanted section and I'm sure you'll find what you need :)

Ok folks.... I took some pictures but for some reason I it says that I cannot post images. But FYI the problem is exactly as shown on other users pictures posted on this thread---the cross tube is rusted and broke off.

I jacked the car completely up and did notice that the entire assembly is replaceable.

So the next step is to locate the part. I was hoping there might be some supplier out there who makes these assemblies.

I am not too confident on getting one off a used Subaru, as it is likely to be in as bad a shape as the one I have currently.

Any advice on what to do next---with getting a replacement--would be appreciated!

If you can find a 4WD EA82 Wagon/Sedan in a junkyard near you, it is pretty possible the tube will be in useable shape. They like to rust, but it takes a while for them to get to the crumbling point.

As far as I know, there is no aftermarket supplier. Heck, you can't even get a Fuel tank or Rockers for the EA81 cars anymore, but you can indeed get them for the EA82 chassis.

There is no aftermarket for the old Subarus like there is for the VWs... :slobber:

In reply to a previous post question: the tube is broke right where it connects through the bolt-on bracket.

I checked with a Subaru dealer, it showed the part actually being available in the system ($450!) but being backordered for 2 months. The parts guy says that generally means it is no longer available.

I am going to take my car to a nearby body shop. I think they might be able to weld a patch on the broken tube.

I really wish there were more parts available for older cars. Even at $450 (if Subaru would have had the part) that is still no more than a typical month's car payment on a new car!:horse:

Just wondering if anyone could recommend any good Subaru junk yards I could contact about this part? I live in Nebraska and the junk yards around here just shrug their shoulders when I ask them about a used Subaru part.

Also---what is the correct name for this part, so that I know what to ask? Some have called it the "tube assembly", "rear suspension assy", "rear axle assy", etc.

If it's as thin and rusted as mine was, there's nothing to weld to. It was cracked and broken at the mount where it bolts to the car on both sides, it was so thin.

I hit the middle of the tube with a welding hammer, and the point went through. It was literally being held together by rust. I'm shocked it didn't catastrophically fail on me.

Here is what a complete rear trailing arm assy looks like, This one is from an EA81 with tension rear suspension vs Coil overs. But the EA82 style looks fairly similar.

To give you an idea.

2012_0401AB.jpg

That's a lot more complicated than I imagined it. I see why you said take the whole thing w/hubs. :-p

Search Car-part.com for places near you and call around. You might have to go outside the box to get what you need.