Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this the END for my 86 Subaru XT????

Also---what is the correct name for this part, so that I know what to ask? Some have called it the "tube assembly", "rear suspension assy", "rear axle assy", etc.

The FSM calls it out as "The rear crossmember".

Atleast the FSM for '88 XT6 does.

Typical rust belt subaru. I have had rotted out trailing arms and such. I would only say your xt is out with a lack of replacement part, but you can replace that!. you can repair it if you are clever.

This happended to scott's (xbeerd) loyale. He swapped in a replacement from an xt6, but only as it became available while repairing the original. He wa abe to repair the original by inserting a metal pipe or tube with a matching diameter and weld it up.

If you ask him nicely, he may still have it and ship it to you. It has been por-15'd and all that. You don't find these every day unless someone has whole parts cars or piles of parted cars laying around. I used to have piles of these parts over the years, but have junked them for lack of subarus that need them (by this i mean a lack of subarus in general, since they all rusted away years ago)

So to answer yur question, no, your 86 xt is not kaput.

actually i never got around to repairing it. i still have the crossmember though, but yes, the idea was cut off the rusted crap, and slide a pipe/tube into it and rebuild/recreate the mounting point. Other than the end parts, the tubes not bad. it definately wasnt as bad as 987647's pic up there. christ! :o

i can snap a pic of what i have, if you want the part to repair it yourself, you can have it for the cost of shipping. im moving in a few weeks, so chances are its going to have to go somewhere, rather go to a soob guy than a local trash collecting alley truck

• 2 weeks later...

:banana:I did some internet searching and found a parts locator company that found one of these in New Mexico. The cost was $450 (included shipping) and I know that's high, but for that I got a part that is in excellent condition, and even includes the trailing arms and rear wheels.

Now comes the hard part of removing the old crossmember and bolting in the new. Getting the old bolts out will be the hardest thing.

Edited by zooeyhall
icon

$450 isn't to bad considering where you live, how scarce parts are, and the point you got the complete assembly. I paid $200 for Rockers and a Fuel tank, and I was up to $400 in final total after shipping, so don't feel bad ;)

Your old crossmember isn't to bad really, except for the crack, but that does look weldable (Possibly keep that as a spare for your self or someone else who needs one)

Getting you old bolts out shouldn't be bad, they come out pretty easy even on very rusty cars, plus they are 17mm and aren't lucky to break.

Cheers.