Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building a stroker

Gloyale

So...my 2.2 in my wagon went "bang"

No rod tossed out the top, but you can here it wacking around, and there is BIG flakes in the oil.

So......next engine.

current idea....

EJ25D crank and rods

EJ22E block, pistons.

JDM NA EJ20 heads (like EJ22e heads but with roller rockers, solid adjustement)

this will yeild a 2.33. Common swap with the EJ22t block with STI crank and such.....but I'm just doing an N/A build.

Now, search this topic and you get tons of "this works, that won't" stuff. But since this IS the internets, I figure I'll ask again here......so we can add to the mix.

I'd like to ask that only those that have ACTUAL experience with this "stroker" swap to chime in.

If it's too troublesome, I may just go with the "frankenmotor" 2.5 block w/the NA EJ20 heads.

displacement and compression wins the NA horsepower wars.the 2.5 has you beat as far as displacement but I don't know its compression.On the other hand if if the 2.33 ends up with higher compression it will be faster because there isn't that much difference in displacement between 2.5 and 2.33.any idea of what the compression would end up as with the 2.33 vs 2.5?

EDIT: doing some research on the net it seems the 2.2 block+2.5 crank and rods+ 2.2 pistons = 8.0CR.

reportedly using 2.2 rods makes compression 11.0.It seems your best best is to put together crank, and 1 cylinder worth of stuff to measure clearances.

Edited by Uberoo

251 block, crank, rods (or '99 25D).

96 25D pistons.

22E heads with roller's.

It's somewhere around 12:1 or a bit higher. The key is the '96 25D pistons. They are much higher compression due to the larger combustion chambers of the '96 25D heads.

The 2.5 is a stroked AND bored 2.2 anyway. I don't see the point in the lower displacement 22E block when 2.5 stuff is so plentiful and cheap. I'm drowning 2.5 blocks that want some level of rebuilding. Basically get them for free doing 2.2 swaps.

GD

So...my 2.2 in my wagon went "bang"

No rod tossed out the top, but you can here it wacking around, and there is BIG flakes in the oil.

So......next engine.

current idea....

EJ25D crank and rods

EJ22E block, pistons.

JDM NA EJ20 heads (like EJ22e heads but with roller rockers, solid adjustement)

this will yeild a 2.33. Common swap with the EJ22t block with STI crank and such.....but I'm just doing an N/A build.

Now, search this topic and you get tons of "this works, that won't" stuff. But since this IS the internets, I figure I'll ask again here......so we can add to the mix.

I'd like to ask that only those that have ACTUAL experience with this "stroker" swap to chime in.

If it's too troublesome, I may just go with the "frankenmotor" 2.5 block w/the NA EJ20 heads.

How do the JDM heads flow compared to USDM NA EJ22 heads?

Jacob

why not use an EJ25 block? like GD and I, i'm sure you got some lying around as you type so you had to already have thought about it....

All I have is a decent phase II block.............and a good phase I crank, rods, and pistons. I don't have a good phase II crank.

And after doing a mock up assembly, there's no way it's workin without custom pistons. I assembled a phase I 2.2 block with a phase I 2.5 crank, installed one rod(2.5) and piston(2.2) It came about 4mm up past the block.......

That would have to be a pretty thick headgasket:dead::drunk::lol:

SOooooo....

scratch that.....I'm building a 2.2 with the solid/roller valvetrain 2.0 heads.