Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much for EJ25D head reconditioning?

I'm in New Orleans, used a company called "Harahan Auto Parts And Machine Shops", they needed 5 days to do the work, are charging me $300+ a head, still haven't finished after a week and now failing to call me with updates as promised. I feel ripped off.

Am I justified in being pissed off?

Steve

Yeah, they wanted $50 extra for the pressure test so it didn't do that.

They also set the clearance by taking material off the stem or seat instead of changing the shims.

Not sure what it is about Louisiana - maybe they don't do a lot of Subaru's so either naively over-rate their jobs or do so on purpose to "encourage" people not to take them DOHC heads..

Hate not having recommendations for this kind of work.

Steve

sounds high but might not be surprising either.

urban environment might be pricey. i lived in Georgia for 9 years - the southeast is not a Subaru mecca - it's not hard to find a machine shop that's cussing every second they have to look at these things. Subaru prices can be higher in Subaru rich areas but shops can also be more familiar and knowledgable about Subaru's too - they're more familiar, accepting, and that can probably make a difference in pricing in some ways....parts on hand, know the market, Subaru sources better, less time invested, etc.

call the local Subaru dealer and ask them who does their machine shop work.

ask up front, don't assume all machine shops are the same. take the time, you'll need them again for pressing, turning rotors or a clutch, your EJ25 heads again (LOL). around here machine shops may specialize in mining equipment or industrial - i don't use those places. i have no doubt they could do a fine job. but if i can - find the shops that do all automotive stuff and even ask how much aluminum, import, or Subaru stuff they get. back in Maryland the machine shop i used did almost exclusively aluminum head and block work.

if they don't like that conversation....that suggests move on to the next guy.

Thanks for all the advice....

I talked to the Subaru mechanics at our dealership and they said have the heads checked for flatness but they don't often warp due to their short length (two cylinders) and tall height. I didn't bother asking for their recommendation after that thinking it may not be entirely accurate - I got the impression from everyone on here that it happened a lot.

Anyway - they are just an auto machine shop and they did say "If we get 5 Subaru jobs a year its been a busy one". I think I will try another shop next time. I got a reference from a bloke who works in our company's truck repair dept to try a diesel machining company... May call them at least next time.

Steve

I talked to the Subaru mechanics at our dealership and they said have the heads checked for flatness but they don't often warp due to their short length (two cylinders) and tall height. I didn't bother asking for their recommendation after that thinking it may not be entirely accurate - I got the impression from everyone on here that it happened a lot.

they don't often warp.

They are .002 off from the factory:(

At least that is the theory my machinist has.

He says every single subaru head he cuts, is a hair thick at one end, lower corner. Swears the factory machine must be running too fast and is deflecting a tad at the end of the cut.

I've watched the surfacing operation, and seen what he means.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks brand new! For cleaning, milling and a full valve job and adjustment, $285 sounds about right. Machine rates vary quite a bit depending on locale. The shop here in town charges about 10-15% more than a shop about 30 minutes away. For having a set of heads milled it's not worth the drive across the mountain, but if I need a block bored along with it I'll go for the drive. The guy over the mountain will also check bearing clearances and fit pistons if I need that done.

Looks brand new! For cleaning, milling and a full valve job and adjustment, $285 sounds about right. Machine rates vary quite a bit depending on locale. The shop here in town charges about 10-15% more than a shop about 30 minutes away. For having a set of heads milled it's not worth the drive across the mountain, but if I need a block bored along with it I'll go for the drive. The guy over the mountain will also check bearing clearances and fit pistons if I need that done.

Nice - good bloke there!!

Just came to realise - the machine shop didn't return the exhaust studs, nuts and those crazy half-moon plastic things :mad:

Project delayed *again* while I wait on more parts...

Steve