Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy pilot bearing sleeve?

Morning folks. Well finally got around to pulling the gearbox out of the 95 Burgundy. Went ahead and split the case to check the input bearing and to change the seal since she was puking really nice. She was also sounding like a spun bearing when you shifted in the lower gears at high RPM. Well the input shaft looked good where the input bearing rides. (Thank the gods, I had some pretty nice whine in 1st and 2nd gears. 3/4 was quieter and 5th silent so the rear bearing should be good)

Once I dropped the clutch I found where my noise was coming from at higher (over 3750 RPM shifts) shift points.. Pic is worth 1000 words..

7109686573_07a878d266_z.jpg

Once I saw that I went and looked at the input shaft and things look a touch worn down. So I tapped the bearing out, stuck it on the tip of the input shaft and.. we got WAY to much play for my comfort zone.

So here is the question. Has anyone ever sleeved the tip of the input shaft where it slips into the pilot bearing to cause the fit to be proper. I do -not- feel like buying a input shaft and then pressing all the gears off ect ect ect. Am I about to go into uncharted no mans land of Subaru, make it work things here?

Not like it matters to me, I like doing odd ball stuff. :drunk:

Yes my synchros are all good, and the rest of the bearings are all good. The inside of the gearbox looks just pretty.

Try the fitment of a new pilot bearing. The ID of that old one may be enlarged. You can buy speedi-sleeves in any size you like. Just have to measure. Since that's an off-the-shelf bearing (6202 IIRC) the shaft repair sleeve for that size will be very common. Attach the sleeve with one of the loctite sleeve retainers (609/620/640) that is commensurate with the clearance between the worn shaft and the repair sleeve.....

GD

RE: Davebugs

Well the snout on mine is fine, it is the tip of the input shaft is what is.. rather borked. I did check for sleeves in other threads, but all were for throw out bearings. :banghead:

RE: GeneralDisorder

I was thinking about a speedy sleeve, but I was not sure if they made anything that small. I will jump on that train when my parts get here. (Everything has to be shipped in). Once I have my new pilot bearing in my hand (along with the rest of the stuff) I will head down to town (hour drive) and see if they can hook me up at steeves for a sleeve. Nice to know it is a common bearing. Really hoping I don't have to sleeve it at all, but with out the new bearing in my hand who knows. Best to get some info before hand since I have to go to town Friday anyways.

RE: GeneralDisorder

Well just encase I downloaded the speedi sleeve catalogue, and it looks like there may be one and only one option since ... well it is the smallest sleeve they sell..

Nominal Shaft Diameter

0.472 (as I recall the inside diameter of the bearing is 0.4724)

Shaft Diameter range..

0.469 to 0.475

Stock number

Price WOO even my price 20 bucks!

Smallest one they make, and we will see if I need it. I will get back to you all once my parts come in.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got all my stuffs and put the transmission back together. The new pilot bearing has a little play on the nose of the input shaft but nothing too bad. I would like it tighter but meh.

Now here are my questions I have looked all over for. I have got the new bearing in there and everything, new seal. The side to side play is allot less, perhaps 1/16th of a inch.. but the thrust play is still there. Any ideas what the allowable thrust and side to side play of the input shaft is. I mean there is a long way to go from the input bearing to the tip of the shaft. And I dun wana have to drop this box twice.

Box is back in the Burgundy. Drove it a bit.. it is quieter, but not silent. (but then I had the shift boot loose). got it over the drip pan to see if I got leaks. Clutch is way better and the noises while shifting at high RPM's are gone. Full verdict? Tuesday when I head off the hill and go to town at a high rate of speed. Then we will know if the front leaks. I am keeping my spare box just encase though.

:drunk: Beer 30 time! Thank you ALL!:headbang:

The main rear (IE 5th gear) bearing?

It is a bit of a slip fit in the case with no thrust washers or even a keeper like the input. Just a snap ring. So the bearing sort of is there in the case with nothing to keep it save the big half moon thrust washer (that.. well is massive)

There was no galling on the case for that bearing and 5th is silent.

Edited by Peerson