Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing the drivers seat in my 2001 outback wagon: should I go leather or cloth? should I stick to the second gen outback seats?

currently have heated power cloth, and want replacement to have heat and power. previous owner was BIG and the bolsters on the drivers seat are worn and sagging. researching here suggests the leather seats are significantly more comfortable than the cloth. any thoughts on this? hoping someone with lots of drive time in both cloth and leather would comment.

I'll be in the desert at least one more year so leather isn't as ideal as cloth for temps, but if they're more comfortable/less likely to get sagged out, I'm open

Stay with cloth in TUS. The foam is what breaks down. If the covers are good, you can replace just the foam.

Passenger and Drivers side foam can be switched so get a used passenger side and you are all set!

Replacing the foam is not a difficult job, as the seat cushion can be disassembled, and new foam inserted. Use nylon cable ties to replace the hog ring clips that need to be cut off to gain access.

thanks for the idea. will i be able to replace the foam in the main cushion as easily?

The bolster on the seat back is also failing, but I could live with this if the seat bottom were sorted.

any comments on overall comfort cloth vs. leather (temperature not withstanding)? GrossGary?

I vote for Cloth. My friend has the '00 Outback. The cloth seats are supportive even on long trips, and after 200K still look newish. What little I seen of Subaru leather has not impressed me in anyway. The cloth on my Forester's after 13 years on the road, are just now showing the beginning signs of love.

Just my two

• 2 weeks later...

maybe a little OT but, how would I choose a color at CoverCraft or someplace to closely match the interior of our 03 OBW? Starting to develop a tear on the pass side seat and it's bugging my wife. Might re-do both front seats only, so is there name of the beige color or a code? Is it in the vin or ????