Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a ej22 with about 275k on it. It uses a little bit of oil (on the order of 1 qt/600-700 miles). My waterpump just went out and I know it hasn't had a timing belt in way too long, so it's time to do that as well. My question is....Do I go ahead and do the necessary repair on this motor since I have some knowledge of its history (had it for about 100k now), or do I round up a lower mileage motor to swap out and throw a new timing belt in it? If swap, where does a guy find a good ej22?

if the oil loss is past the piston rings i'd get another block.

outside of that there are too many possibilities and personalities to really say. one man's modis operandi is different than the next. there's really no compelling single reason to get rid of the block or to keep it unless it's loosing oil past the rings, that's fairly definitive to me. that mileage is not enough to sway me one way or another all by itself.

some notes that might help you to consider depending on your particular vehicle/needs:

how many more miles do you want/expect out of this car?

1.) 100,000 or less - keep the motor.

2.) 300,000 or more - another one might be a good idea.

what condition is it in? how many of those miles did you put on it? does it seem to be in good condition?

has the engine ever been run hot or run significantly low on oil?

when you replace belts on engines with this many miles and years, replace all the pulleys and tensioner. ebay is the best bet for that - the kits have all new pulleys and tensioner and belt for a reasonable price.

well honestly, as simple as this car is to keep running and as good of transportation as it has been for so cheap, I'll go with B. the 300k answer. And my assumption is that the oil must be lost past the rings, cuz there are no leaks of any sort. However, it doesn't smoke a bit either. Hasn't been run hot to my knowledge, but then again, It had a life unknown to me in it's "early years". ;)

my assumption is that the oil must be lost past the rings, cuz there are no leaks of any sort.

just because it isn't dripping on the ground does not mean it isn't leaking. crawl under the car and look for black, wet, dirty oily spots on the engine. it would really really rare of an ej22 w/ 275k miles to NOT leak oil.

but for all i know your engine is pristine, so no offense, but until you look you don't know.

Timing belt and waterpump kits are pretty cheap for these motors and it's a job you can do in your driveway.

I'd replace the PCV valve on the intake with a new subaru one and make sure the hoses between it and the block are clear of carbon deposits. That may be your light oil consumption issue, especially if you're not seeing any smoke.

A reasonable EJ22 pulled out of a junkyard for you is going to cost at least $300. You can buy a lot of oil for that.

my assumption is that the oil must be lost past the rings, cuz there are no leaks of any sort.
there is no oil underneath the car at all?

it can also loose oil through valve stem seals, not sure if it could loose a quart every 600 miles though.

if it's a valve stem seal then you could do a headgasket job and install new valve stem seals.

price out some EJ22's and see what you can find. if you find a great and inexpensive option that might make the decision even easier. you could even get an EJ18 if you want to expand your options, they're usually easier to find cheap because there is higher supply than demand. i know a guy that has three of them and he said i could have one for free if i want it, he can't get rid of them. your EJ22 manifold will bolt right on top of the EJ18. i bought one with 100,000 miles and a warranty for $150 from a junk yard already pulled. great deal, i've put 60,000 miles on it and it hasn't given me a problem yet.

Dont rule out the oil separator in the bellhousing. If the trans hasnt been out its leaking. Itll collect in the frame and eventually in the steering rack. The silicone sealer on those will turn to dust after almost 20 years. I thought i had a rear main leak but it was just the oil separator. The silicone was so weak i rubbed it off by hand and applied new to a clean shiny surface.