Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Muffler questions?

I have an 88 subaru gl-10 1.8 turbo and I want it to be louder. I put a glasspack on it yesterday and the tone changed a bit but overall its not any louder. Any suggestions? Its a weld on glass pack and i just put it where the muffler used to be. Is it the catalytic converters that is quieting it down so much?

so you have stock besides the glass pack?

First link is 2.5 from cat back.

http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa340/conifersubaru/?action=view&current=M2U00382.mp4&mediafilter=videos

Second link is 2.5'" turbo back with the cat still

http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa340/conifersubaru/?action=view&current=IMG_0460.mp4

OBK25XT installed my glasspack where my muffler was... I also have hollowed out cats... but heres what mine sounds like:

Its quite loud. :horse::banana:

I actually found this video on youtube about a week ago and thats what made me go out and buy my glasspack :lol:

I heard that if you drive around and get the glasspack nice and hot and then spray some water in it it will break up the glass and make it louder? This sounds pretty stupid to me but does it actually work or does it make it sound bad?

Ya know, I... *thinks*

I may have done something like this... drove like 100 miles... then was cleaning out engine bay and got some water in the exhaust piping and started the car and watched it flow out of the glasspack (incline) and indeed I think Ned is a lot louder now than he was before then...

I actually found this video on youtube about a week ago and thats what made me go out and buy my glasspack :lol:

Credit goes to OBK25XT... First EA82 I saw with a cherrybomb, asked him about it, went up, heard it and got mine installed by him :brow: I just have the video because people who werent in the same state wanted to hear the rumble, so I posted a video for them

Ya know, I... *thinks*

I may have done something like this... drove like 100 miles... then was cleaning out engine bay and got some water in the exhaust piping and started the car and watched it flow out of the glasspack (incline) and indeed I think Ned is a lot louder now than he was before then...

Hmmm interesting! I might have to try this, I like the beastly sound of Ned and according to the other things ive seen online about doing this, it doesnt cause any damage in the long run. It has something to do with the glass in the muffler actually cracking. How long has it been since this happened to you?

OBK25XT installed my glasspack where my muffler was... I also have hollowed out cats... but heres what mine sounds like:

Its quite loud. :horse::banana:

Another question for you, how much work is required to hollow out the cats? Are they welded onto the exhaust or bolted? I was looking at mine today and the heat sheild around it was tack welded together so i didnt take it apart to take a look

sadly your car will never be as loud as a n/a car.

the turbo cuts alot of the noise out. even running my 87gl10t with just the downpipe it was still very quiet. while cruising it could barely be heard.(but when i was getting on it it sounded like it was going to engulf the universe:D)

the cats are easy to hollow just ger a big metal bar and ram the stuff till it all comes out.

if you were to cut it right before the 2nd cat and put a 45degree bend to a cherry bomb and have it come out right behind the driver door, you would have a good sound a good look and it would be mostly legal.

Hmmm interesting! I might have to try this, I like the beastly sound of Ned and according to the other things ive seen online about doing this, it doesnt cause any damage in the long run. It has something to do with the glass in the muffler actually cracking. How long has it been since this happened to you?

Roughly Id say 8 months... maybe 6 months...

Another question for you, how much work is required to hollow out the cats? Are they welded onto the exhaust or bolted? I was looking at mine today and the heat sheild around it was tack welded together so i didnt take it apart to take a look

sadly your car will never be as loud as a n/a car.

the turbo cuts alot of the noise out. even running my 87gl10t with just the downpipe it was still very quiet. while cruising it could barely be heard.(but when i was getting on it it sounded like it was going to engulf the universe:D)

the cats are easy to hollow just ger a big metal bar and ram the stuff till it all comes out.

if you were to cut it right before the 2nd cat and put a 45degree bend to a cherry bomb and have it come out right behind the driver door, you would have a good sound a good look and it would be mostly legal.

He answered your question, though... hollowing out your cats can be considered illegal, so in no way are we condoning the idea :horse:

• 2 weeks later...

update: I ended up removing the exhaust right before the second cat and It is ALOT louder than it was before, but I really don't want my exhaust just dumping right under my seat so I am just going to buy a flange and weld it to a pipe with my cherry bomb and have it go out the side of the car like you suggested, then i can just unbolt that and put my stock exhaust when needed for DEQ :brow: