Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1976 Ford Mustang Fastback Build - "Isabelle"

For a few years, I owned a 77 Coupe which I loved. I did a lot of restoration work to it, made it beautiful and loved it. It was a V6 auto but still had plenty of get up and go to it. I always thought about swapping in a 302 V8 and manual trans but never got to it. About 3 years ago, it was stolen out of storage and I have never stopped missing it.

01-2.jpg

Dang do I miss that car.

So a week ago I was browsing Craigslist and came across a 76 Mustang for sale. After a phone call and a drive into farm country I found this project sitting in a barn.

118_1722.jpg

118_1721.jpg

118_1720.jpg

It's a mostly complete 1976 fastback with T-tops, 302 V8 and 4 speed manual. Has 51k on the odometer. The floors/seat mounts need some weld work but for a midwestern car from the 70s it's very little rust to worry about. I purchased the car for a whopping $700. and it is now residing in my garage. The lady and I would love to have it complete and pretty in time to use it as a getaway car for our wedding. She promptly named the car "Isabelle" the night we unloaded it.

I'm not new to wrenching. But 90% of my automotive work has been on Subarus. So tackling a Mustang is whole new animal.

#1. I have a small mountain of parts and a jar of nuts, bolts and hardware. It will be somewhat of a puzzle to sort out what a few things are and where it all goes. Anyone have much knowhow on Fords?

#2. The car is mostly complete but I am still going to need a number of parts and would love some help in finding them. Trying to keep it a low budget project but I realize these cars aren't the most common things. If you come across one in a junkyard, or know a part source that would have used part, I have a shopping list.

#3. Tune up & mechanical. The engine has been out of the car for at least a year. I'm not looking to build a drag racing beast, but I'd love to have this thing running smoothly with that wonderful V8 rumble.

It's good to open the garage door and see a Mustang again. The Subarus don't seem to mind the old timer hanging around.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

• 1 month later...

Thanks for telling me about this thread today! You got all that stuff for $100, wow.

Yeah it is kinda sad there is not as much of a Market for the II's as there is for all the other Mustangs. That Blue coupe looked awesome! Thats just like my Mom had (Except Bright Yellow and 4cyl)

Keep it up man! :popcorn:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...