Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel problem ? HELP!!!!!

I have a 81 wagon with a 1.8.

rebuilt hitachi carb. It like to sparatically run like its out of gas or flooding, though if i push in the clutch and give her the full pedal she takes it with no problems at all.

I have addressed the fuel pump, filters, cleaned all emissions hoses, tuned the carb, adjusted timing, all to no avail.

the problem is random, though usually happens on an incline.

does anybody out there have any input ?

Incline suggests a fuel level problem.

No need to guess about flooding or starvation.

Next time it acts up,pull over,shut off quickly and check the fuel level in the carby sight glass(wish all carbs had those).

Might need a mirror.

That will tell you whether the carb is flooding or starving.

Water in the gas will act up all the time, not just when you're going up an incline. Are all the fuel system components around the motor bolted tightly down? Loose components may be shifting when you start climbing. Check non-bolted bits, too, in case a weld or other joiner has come loose on accident.

Check your fuel lines--while unlikely, it is possible there is a crack or gap only opening when you are on an incline or under load. Gas evaporates quickly enough that you may not smell it if you check things 15 minutes later.

For myself, at least, I try to rule out stupid and unlikely problems before I get to expensive ones.

I have an 84 with the same engine, but a Weber carb. Lat month I had some carb problems. The OEM gas filter that is under the hood has a glue in fuel filter, with today's blend of ethanol mixed in the gas, had caused the resin to break down and plug up the jets in the carb.

I finally found the problem and solution.

Clogged filter in the tank. I was unaware that there was one in there.

hit it with about 30psi to knock all the crap off and now i have good pressure.

i still need to drop he tank and clean it but at least shes runnin strong again.