Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I searched here for a bit and still a little confused.

I have a 98 OBW, 2.5l with 160k.

Only one of my radiator cooling fans is working. It is the passenger side fan and it works either thermostatically or with the a/c on. The drivers side doesn't work thermostatically, but turn the a/c on and it spins for about 3 seconds and stops. I switched the fans and it was the same thing with the drivers side not working at all thermostatically and only spinning for 3 seconds when the a/c is turned on.

Also noticed when I was checking that when the a/c is turned on, the drivers side fan will spin for 2-3 seconds and then stop, everytime the a/c clutch engages the fan will spin for 2-3 seconds and stop again.

The 2 fans must be on separate circuits as one operates as its supposed to and the other will not.

Could it be a relay that is allowing the first surge of voltage to get through and then heat/resistance builds up and shuts it down, and would that relay be causing it not to operate thermostatically as well? Or are the operations from coolant temp and a/c fan being on run through separate circuits or relays? Meaning that there are two separate issues with the drivers side fan?

Thanks guys. any help appreciated.

Matt

I think this should still apply for you

radiator-fan-control-chart1.gif

+1

thats what i was leaning toward, unless he was saying it was actually overheating.

the A/C fan is more likley to turn on than the main fan. simply because its not hot enough.

-Justin

+1

thats what i was leaning toward, unless he was saying it was actually overheating.

the A/C fan is more likley to turn on than the main fan. simply because its not hot enough.

-Justin

Thanks for the chart. That helps.

When it is at operating temp, in the driveway, and the a/c is on, the main fan (drivers side) won't come on, while the sub fan comes on. The chart indicates that both should be on

While at operating temperature in the driveway with the a/c off, the sub fan will come on when temp gets hot enough, but the main fan won't. The chart indicates that the main fan should come on before the sub fan.

I think I have two problems, one that is temp controlled and one that is a/c controlled.

Am I on the right track?

• 2 weeks later...

i feel like i have been running into this problem with my 98 Forester.

had it get hot due to a leaking radiator...i replaced it, the upper and lower hose, tstat only had about 300 miles on it and did the radiator cap a couple of days ago.

lately if i'm slowing down, coming to a stop or hill/incline the temp. wants to climb up...i haven't heard my fans kick on any of these times unless i turn the ac on and then they run and it cools it back down...

beginning to not feel 100% on the correct turn of the tstat, acts like a vaporlock at times.

also should mention that the previous owner had replaced the HG's probably 5months before i bought it...

i see no bubbling in the overflow, feel like the tstat isn't always functioning like it should and the fans don't seem to be kicking on like they should with temp's... only with the ac on...

any idea's of what i'm looking at?

^ how high does yours climb? I only saw my car legit climb up maybe a little more then half way once but that's because I was hauling about 340 lb's of sound equipment.

Also back before I did my HG turning on the AC would make it overheat that much quicker because of the condenser in front of the radiator throwing out more heat.

• 4 years later...

I too was having trouble with overheating problem in my 1993 Legacy. I went to various message boards. I replaced the thermostat. Water pump got replaced and still no solution to my problem. Finally I went out there and changed the temperature sensor........and that was the end of the problem. 

Since the secondary fan doesn't come on until engine temp gets over 200 Fahrenheit it was not a concern. Now my temp hovers in between 185-190 and my A.C blows cold even while stopped and idling or in stop and go traffic. 

post-63665-0-55335800-1468962000_thumb.jpg