Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gl-10 mods

I'm assuming this is a GL-10 turbo model?

You can squeeze more power out of the turbo engine, but the results aren't that great and the reliability goes down the toilet. It's a 2 valve per cylinder engine with poor flowing heads that like to crack or blow headgaskets or overheat so if you try pushing it hard it will likely fail.

Some things you can do are the xt-4 spider intake manifold that's set up like an EJ one and an intercooler from an EJ where the spare tire goes. Search for posts by WJM on cranking them up.

The most important think to keep on top of is the cooling system. Replace all the rubber hoses, including the ones to the turbo and make sure the radiator is in good shape. Pretty much if you overheat it once it's done.

it IS a soob engine, so itll take some abuse but two oil changes worth of miles is hardly a testement to reliability. another thing you can do to postpone 'motor go boom' is install an oil cooler. and most ea82t savvy folks will tell you 'go to the dealer and order EVERY hose/seal for that motor.

One thing to consider is a water/methanol injection system if you turn up the boost.

I'm using washer fluid injection on my supercharged tacoma. 12.5psi going into a 9.6:1 compression ratio v6 with no tune. 3 years later it still hasn't blown up, though I've sure tried.

the engine management in the ea82t is too primitive to really do anything with. you wont be able to tune it unless you can reverse engineer it and retrofit from other models or outright invent things.

#1 rule: don't boost it.

I had a cheepo ebay boost controller on mine set for 10psi made quite a differnence

I put 6k hard boosted red lined miles on it And its still going strong

Could you tell me the brand/model of your boost controller? Did you put an intercooler on your car or anything else besides that?

it was a $20 ebay special.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-300zx-3000GT-VR4-EVO-RX7-WRX-T-/140744105193?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c5009ce9&vxp=mtr

no intercooler. i was driving around 30-50 below zero during the winter. so it wasnt as necessary, but installing one is pretty easy.

the power level increases alot the colder it gets.

i aslo cut the exhaust off right before the 2nd cat.(i put it back to sell it)

the p/o had gutted the down pipe cat already.

drifting a wagon at 60mph is what dreams are made of.

i lol'd when an sti tried to out drift me.. and he has 300+ hp and a rear ebrake

i still won.:D (in the snow anyways)

i really miss that car.

img0109wi.jpg

Edited by AKghandi

it was a $20 ebay special.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-300zx-3000GT-VR4-EVO-RX7-WRX-T-/140744105193?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c5009ce9&vxp=mtr

no intercooler. i was driving around 30-50 below zero during the winter. so it wasnt as necessary, but installing one is pretty easy.

the power level increases alot the colder it gets.

i aslo cut the exhaust off right before the 2nd cat.(i put it back to sell it)

the p/o had gutted the down pipe cat already.

drifting a wagon at 60mph is what dreams are made of.

i lol'd when an sti tried to out drift me.. and he has 300+ hp and a rear ebrake

i still won.:D (in the snow anyways)

i really miss that car.

img0109wi.jpg

So its pretty easy to install the boost controller? Where does it go? and that pretty impressive that you were getting 10 psi out of it. Maybe If i get a top mount for my car I will order one of those.

I removed one of them and it seemed to help a bit but I didn't want to take out both because i figured I would lose all back pressure.

The turbo and exhaust going back is more than enough back pressure. The turbo is a pretty big restriction.

Intercooler is probably a good thing to do. It will help the engine run cooler AND give you more power.

i put it in the line going to the waste gate. from the solenoid. i could have removed it but it didn't seem necessary

and actually it could go all the way to 12 psi but that would be the limit of the stock fuel system.(in perfect working order) so i stayed at 10.

these dont have a set overboost cut. its determined by a lean condition. so if you go too far you will know.