Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale front end clicking

I have a 92 loyale 4wd that has a low clicking sound coming from the front right wheel. The sound is really quiet and I almost more feel it. It only happens when I'm accelerating. I took a look all around there and didn't notice anything. The cv axle looks to be in good shape. The boot is still nicely intact. Any idea what this could be? Thanks for the help.

Only a couple things come to mind. The beginning of CV or axle bearing failure. Go drive it somewhere where you can safely make some 20-30mph hard left turns. If it increases during the turn, it's CV. Then go in a straight line and swerve slowly left. If it gets worse, it's the bearing. Could possibly be something with the rotor, but I doubt it. Also check the tire for something stuck in it.

I've had the same issue, so I'll give you a quick rundown.

I have a 92 Loyale, it's just front wheel drive and automatic. I had to replace the front right CV shaft because it was all mangled from where the joints join at, so I did that, and all was good. Then all the sudden some slight clicking/chattering sound started coming from that front side, so I decided maybe the CV shaft just worked a little loose from driving, and I tightened it down again.

Well, one night my girlfriend was driving it and she couldn't move all the sudden and the shaft was just free spinning in the hub. It turns out the hub was bad and had to be replaced. I guess it wasn't staying tight with the shaft and it was just worn out. The shaft and splines were still good though. What the chattering sound was, the CV shaft would loosen up, then my rotor on that side would be loose, and it was actually chattering back and forth, when I was going down the road.

So, you may pop off that tire, and see if the CV shaft is a little loose, and if that front rotor is too. If so, it could possibly be the hub going bad. It cost me $300 to get it done at a shop... which was a very good price for something that turned into a headache.