Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'05 OBW 90K, Replace Tranny Fluid?

Do I need to replace the AT fluid as general maintenance at 90k on my 2005 Outback Wagon?

Going to have the plugs and drive belts replaced.

Brake fluid maybe? Had brakes done at 71k. Was that enough "bleeding" instead of replace?

Anything else, at this point, that should be done, not just what the dealer wants to sell me? Dealer tried to tell me I needed the timing belt replaced at 60k.

Juan

Thanks

Juan

Dealer was misinformed. Timing belt normally at 105K miles though I recall reading that there may also be a time indicator. ie don't expect a belt not to dry rot out in 15 years just because you don't put on the miles.

If you don't mind getting dirty, I do a drain and refill on my 05 every 25-30K miles. That's not a complete flush but it is what dealer charges a pretty penny for anyway. Drain from pan, replace plug with crush washer and fill from filler tube with yellow dip stick on driver's side (USA) just in front of firewall. You'll need a long neck funnel and just a little less than 4 quarts of Subaru ATF fluid (about$7 per quart).

Diagram is pretty clear in owner's manual.

ATF really should be changed sooner rather than later. I generally change every 30-45k miles, depends on what kind of driving was done in that time. Heat is the major contributor to degradation of ATF. So if the car is driven in stop and go traffic often, where the engine gets hot and the fans have to run often, the ATF will in turn suffer from the heat in those conditions, moreso than during open highway driving.

If the ATF has never been changed, definitely do it, even if you just change it yourself.

timing belt 105,000 miles OR 105 months.

ATF should be every 36

Coolant check the recomendation but if it is just normal stuff 36 too.

I do a drain and fill every other oil change, that way it is always fresh.