Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Common Subie probs??

Im lookin to get an older subie to work on and use as a daily driver to my community college. What are the more comon problems of older subies, if any? I just want to know what to ask about/check out besides the usual stuff. And by older I mean mid-late 80's.

Thanks,

Jon

Shadow nails a lot of what to look for in this, or any car. Excellent advice.

My big thing is rust, and being in NY, this will be a major obstacle for you if you want an older (ie cheaper Subaru). I brought one back from Buffalo, and the body was shot under 100k. More like 80k. I've never seen anything like it!! That's gotta be the ABSOLUTE worse place on the planet to own an old Sube.

I don't know much about them, but you'll probably get the most bang for your buck with something like an early 90's Leagcy. The newer-generation cars (of all makes) improved dramitacally with the early 90's redesigns-particularly structural integrity. The older GL/Loys are old definitely old school in this respect.

If you don't like to wrench, get a Legacy in decent shape. You shoould be able to find a good one even where you are. The Legacy's seem to age well. The great thing about Subes that they usually dont get a lot of abuse until they are aged, and in the hands of derelicts.

good luck, John

Thanks for all the help guys. Im all too familiar with the rust and taping noise. I have a 92 loyale with 200k on it and it taps and is rusting like crazy. Im looking to replace the fenders and fix some of the rust. I love the loyale and I'll continue to keep her running as long as I can but I love cars, especially subies, and want another one:grin: