Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm just curious when subaru started using hydraulic clutches. I'm thinking about swapping mine in the 95 imp to hydraulic if it's even worth it. I know i'll need the pedals with master and the tranny with slave cylinder. Will it bolt right in with only mods being making a hole in the body or are there other things i'll need to consider? And if so what year/model vehicles can i take it from?

Don't waste your time and money, the cable clutch is just fine.

96 or 97 is when they started putting them in. The shifter fork, Master and Slave should all bolt up.

Double check to see if your trans has the mounting holes for the slave.

Basically it is done for engineering reasons. The Hyd are self adjusting and allow for design freedom. one master - slave and some line can easily fit on so many vehicals as opposed to different length cables. Hyd last longer and are less maint. They also give better clutch pedal feel if you care about that sort of thing

To the regular person, doesn't really mean much

That's what i was going for is clutch pedal feel. I've never really liked the way cables feel. I always feel like i'm going to break something because of how much of the drivetrain you actually feel. Hydraulic are the same feel from top to bottom, there's nothing pushing your foot back up. For a daily i'd prefer a better softer feel. Just curious is all

Fine i dont like how cable clutches feel and i never have :P lol by the end of the year i'll have my frankenmotor built so it'll be easier to go ahead and just convert it to hydraulic. (honestly i think it's easier to pull out the clutch fork by yanking the engine rather than the trans) Plus the cable clutch isnt made to handle the stiffer clutches. Stage1s like the one i've got are ok but anything higher and the cable isnt made for it. Plus they stretch over time where the hydraulic may blow out a component which is easily replaced.