Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The tires on my 2000 Legacy GT wagon need to be rotated and rebalanced but can't since the wheels are secured with wheel locks but the key to those locks has disappeared and I cannot find it.

The tire place said that they might be able to remove the locks since they're made of soft metal and they are not on too tight.

I'd like to replace the locks with wheel nuts (of the same type that are on there now).

Does anyone have 4 wheel nuts for a 2000 GT Legacy that they could spare?

I'll send you a couple of bucks for postage.

If so, please send me a private message.

Edited by ergo

A 12 point socket can usually be pounded over the locks to remove them. You then have to clamp the socket in a vice in order to pound the lock out of the socket though.

I had to do that to all 20 lug nuts on my old car. They were stainless sleeved and the steel lug nuts had rusted and expanded under the sleeves so the proper size lug wrench wouldn't fit on the lugs, but the next size up would just round off the corners and spin. Had to hammer the proper size socket on and hammer the lug nuts out of the socket.

These use Metric 12mm x 1.5 thread lug nuts, very common size on Japanese and European cars. You can buy lug nuts from most auto parts stores for a few dollars a piece.

This is what you might be looking for. They are like a stripped screw removal tool. They will slip over the wheel lock and as you turn to get it off, they get a tighter grip. There are cheaper sets out there. This is what I happen to find quickly.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KENTOOL-Wheel-Lock-Remover-Kit-6ZAY9?gclid=CJL5ntfb-7ACFQ1T7AodPV3PdA&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Fleet%20and%20Vehicle%20Maintenance-_-Automotive%20Mechanical-_-6ZAY9&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=6ZAY9&ef_id=XgdP8fUlgVsAAFiW:20120702192317:s

Find a local car rim thief?

I once have seen a socket which was filled with 100dreds of tiny pins which could be pushed inwards. Therefore it would fit over any bolt. But I have no idea where you could get them. sorry.

I had one of those tiny pin, "one size fits all," sockets. It did not hold up. I used it on a rusted nut, upon which it broke, scattering the pins. I threw what was left of it in the trash. Don't waste your money.

I also only know them from Tell-Sell commercials, which was for me enough to not buy them. Only in this case they could have been of good help. Maybe Autozone could help to just unbolt the locked one, then drive home on 4 bolts per wheel.

...These use Metric 12mm x 1.5 thread lug nuts, very common size on Japanese and European cars. You can buy lug nuts from most auto parts stores for a few dollars a piece.

I believe the Subaru lugs are M12 X 1.25. This is probably what you need, if replacing all:

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-84554-Chrome-Installation-Thread/dp/B0006HOW9C/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Subaru%7C13&Model=Legacy%7C64&Year=2000%7C2000&carId=007&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

Note however, the standard lug wrench (19 mm) may not fit; these use a 13/16" lug wrench.

Edited by aba4430
Added additional info.