Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat Oil Pressure

Need A Little Help With My ea81 oil Pressure

Have Installed New Oil Pump And Filter,Have Good pressure At Startup, Will Hold Pressure For About 10 Minutes Then Start Dropping As Far As 8 On Guage Then The Motor Starts Ticking.

What Is Wrong, screen,Pickup Tube, Bad O-Rings ??????

Did The same With Old Oil Pump.

Any Suggestions ??

With pressure dropping and the OP hearing ticking, not sure it is the sensor. Not saying that the sensor has the resolution and accuracy of a fine instrument!

OP, are there any leaks? Are you burning oil? Have you done a compression test? What grade of oil are you using? On my 87 Brat, with 10W-30, it is at ~the 70 psi mark at start-up and drops to at or a bit above 50 when warm and driving. At warm and idle, it is at ~25 psi. With the 20W-50 that I am running now, it is at 75 psi (actually appears pegged) during startup and close to half way between 50 and 75 during warm and driving. It is above 25 when at warm and idle.

Hopefully, you are just using a thin grade of oil and nothing has been damaged as yet.

never trust the stock oil pressure gauge

I cut the wire to mine a long time ago, things are way too unreliable. If you really wanted to test it, and not have to run an oil line up to your dash, or buy the electric sensor/gauge you can unscrew the oil pressure sender, and use a line pressure gauge to test the oil pressure. At least then it'll give you peace of mind that your engine is running at the correct PSI

The tick you are hearing.. is it lifter noise, rod bearings starting to knock? try and get a reference point on where the ticking is coming from. If you dont have a stethoscope, you can use a long screwdriver and put your ear up to the handle. the noise will xfer up the shaft of the screwdriver and reverberate through the plastic handle.

Are you sure you didnt tear an o-ring when you installed the pump? Its been a long time since I dicked witha EA81, I know they dont use the Mickeymouse seal that our EA82's do, but I know that I've personally had an o-ring slip out of place when I put my new pump on, and it made all sorts of ticking. Was allowing the pump to pick up air, and not the the HLA's pump up. Unfortunately yours is a pushrod motor, so the noise not be as easy to differentiate

What weight oil do you run?

There Are No Leaks Around Pump Or Any Other Place.

Am Using 10-30 Oil.

No Oil Burning, No Smoke.

Haven't Done A Compression Check But Seems Good.

Have A Good Aftermarket Oil Pressure Guage Installed.

Will Check O-Rings On Oil Pump.

Lifter Noise Is Coming From Driver Side.

Idle Is About 900 Rpm's.

Old Oil Pump Did The Same Thing,But No Lifter Noise.

Thanks For All The Advice Everyone, Will Remove And Check O-Rings And Replace Oil With 20-50.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pulled Oil Pan And Found A Thick Pudding Type Blob In The Bottom Of The Pan, Right Where The Pickup Tube Was. Scraped It All Out And Cleaned Out Pickup Tube And Screen.Don't Know What It Was Never Seen That Before.Now I Have 70 Lbs. Oil Pressure At Speed And 25-30 Lbs. At Idle.Very Happy With My Brat So Far.:clap: