Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 ej22 tach jumps, weird buzzing, and misfire

when my engine stalls for whatever reason, with the ignition still on i hear stuff that sounds like electrical buzzing, the tach jumps and the fuel pump either continues to run, or cycle, like the ecu is trying to make it run?? and a couple times it has sputtered after 2-3 minutes after shutting the car off?, I also have had misfire on #4 and swapping injector with a used hasn't helped, i put a new fuel filter on and ran injector cleaner through it, VERY often it will miss at low rpms with full throttle and or high rpms, and sometimes it feels kinda more sluggish and when to the floor at around 4500rpm feels like vtec and gets full power and at the same rpm every time/ any gear, #4 cylinder is now always missing since random when i started it and sometimes idles fine. ECU codes i pulled before today was i think 51 and the one for the o2 sensor(no sensor hooked up) the engine is Swapped in a rx, and never fails to run, but has weird issues

Edited by subarurx yo

ya i thought it may be and i checked grounds, according to the ecu pinout charts you gave me, at ecu plugs and everything seemed grounded that should be, but i may be missing some, anyways today i swapped the #4 injector with a injector from a 1&2 fuel rail instead of another #4 injector and it seemed to solve the misfire issue and i drove it to the beach and back just fine, but im skeptical of the weird tweaking out of electronics

You may have ground - but how good is it? With a custom install like that you have to insure your connections and your wire sizing can carry the required current. Just because you have continuity using a 9v battery in your meter doesn't mean it can carry a 10 amp draw from a real component.

Get yourself a set of these and watch the youtube video on how to use them:

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Specialties-180-LOADpro-Dynamic/dp/B004IKPUL2

GD