Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone, I have a 95 Legacy phase one noninterference single overhead cam hydrolic lifters ej22e. When traveling at 75-80 mph it will sputter for a second or two. The systom will remain for many miles off and on. Then at lower speeds amd rpms it will buck and figjt for rpms and "cough" or "hiccup" that bass kind of sound for four or five seconds then vrooom of it goes. It is not a wet or cold weatjer thing very spuratic. What i've done: coil, wires from subaru, plugs, MAS cleaner, different gas station with additive. No problem today but like I said comes and goes. Any help would be apprecited

Could be a vacuum leak. Check all the hoses (what few there are) for cracks, splits, loose ends. Check the breather hoses from the valve covers to the intake tube, and the PCV hoses where they attach to the tube the intake and the block. While you're messing around with that put a new PCV valve on it.

Also possible the MAF is failing.

First let me say thank you for your responces, I'm very grateful to have access to all your brains!!! Ok, stock air box snorkel etc. yes, MAFS cleaned, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, however I just went to advanced auto and used the.computer for the hell of it and got two codes, upstream and downstream o2.sensors, does that make sense considering no CEL and yr make etc.? Here's the codes p0130 & p014, also a while back took spray bottle with soapy water no vacum leaks and PVC clicking the way it's suppose to. I'm gunna get some o2 sensors from the bone yard see what happens. If you giys are not to bisy tell me what ya think about codes with no CEL THANK YOU AGAIN

Front O2 sensor could cause problems similar to this without setting codes. If you have a cheap source for the front sensor it might be worth it to swap it and see if it makes any difference. The rear sensor has no effect on the engine, it's only there as a check sensor for the catalytic converter.

Since you have codes for both front and rear sensors, that makes me think someone removed the exhaust system at some point and forgot to plug the sensors back in upon re-installation.

All of the O2 sensor codes are two trip fault codes. Which means the ECU will store a "Pending" code when it finds a fault, but will not set the CEL unless the same fault is there for two consecutive drive cycles. If there is a current problem with the O2 sensors it is intermittent and hasn't been recognized on two consecutive drive cycles. Or the sensors were unplugged at some point for one cycle, then re-connected before the next cycle.

So I sprayed all the vacuum lines with brake clean and no increase in RPM's. Also pulled code from haynes manuel p0141 " downstrem o2 sensor heater circuit malfunction" & p0130 "upstream o2 sensor or circuit malfunction" also could emphasize "drive cycle" do you mean starting car stopping and starting again? Anyway I'm going to hit the bone yard and get some sensors clean em' with MAFS cleaner double check ALL my connections and grounds, see if that helps.

the computer uses the front 02 sensor to determine fuel mixture and timing maps. Without it, it runs without timing advance and at a conservative known fuel map.

replace those o2 sensors.

EDIT I was sleepy last night i meant 02 sensor not maf.

Edited by Ricearu

So this morning fired it up and it died in five seconds, and would'nt start fed up I towed it to the sub dealer. Bad ETC Sensor, tech said wont run cause ECM cant tell wwhat fuel/air mix. Funny I checked for spark and had none they never said anything about it. Also tech said cam/crank sensor was recalled in the 95, so if urs are brown no good. My cam was black and crank was brown e gave me a free crankshaft sensor just threw it in. aside from that I'm gunna get new o2 sensors when I have more money and my o2 codes have cleared for now. What else should I be investing in? EGR, TPS, IAC? Running good, still a up and down idle for a few seconds before it levels out. Anymore ideas, its all about preventive matience now!!!

Edited by Maleki777
Year on recall

To whom it may concern, in conclusion I drove the subaru from Webster MA. CONN. Boarder to Haverhill MA. At the N.H. Boarder 150 miles round trip and the EJ22E never missed a beat!!! I think it's fair to say the subaru tech nailed it with ETC Sensor. While I was up there went to Brandy Brow junk yard probaly oone of the best in all of New England and grabbed a TPS, Igniter, and that stupid brack that holds the windshield washer motor in place, my cracked and wiper flop over windshield. Anyway grabbed the two for backups to cheap not to. So thank yo u all for your help, o2 sensors next on list, couldn't get at any bone yard!!! Thanks again:headbang:

yeah, ECT short to ground tells the computer it is something like -40* lol. plays hell on an engine in 90+* weather. :burnout:

:Flame: <---- Need one of these to get that mixture ignited! :lol:

Glad to hear it's running better. And yeah O2 sensors are hard to find on these in a junkyard. Most yards cut the cats off, and the sensors, being attached to the cats, end up in the refiners smelter right along with them.

. . . I take it that means you have personal experience. :)

Yup--in rush hour traffic at the busiest corner in Honolulu! Had to push the Legacy across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic into a parking lot. But it was a nice experience, a few people even blew their horns--I think they were trying to show moral support!!! :cool:

That was years ago. Replaced the ECTS and the car has run like new ever since.

Wow you guys know your stuff!!! Ricearo that's the exact number 33yr sub tech said computer thinks it's 40 below!!! I have another question, a new thread may ne neccasary, it is possible to clean a o2 sensor? Gettin mixed amswers all over the net. Amd have any of you done it? Any success? MAF cleaner, brake cleaner, electrical point cleaner, etx?

Yeh Advanced Auto and Autozone showing same part number up and down, 98 bucks, plug and go. probaly hit that sight you posted, going to have to wait two weeks before nexy xheck. Just left job at Salvation Army for teamster gig drivin, start tuesday.

cool good luck. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt (in my mind) that a NTK is WAYYY better than a bosch or most others. I have had superb luck with them.

Oh yeah, and there isn't a way to clean them. Usually when they fail, the element inside has died.