Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I added coolant (r-134a) to the a/c in my 99 legacy brighton wagon and so far so good. I followed directions on can closely and made sure I used a gauge and checked it frequently. It seemed like a long time for the gauge needle to bump up PSI to where it should be according to ambient temperature (40-50 PSI). I stopped somewhere around 30-35 psi for now and inside was running nice and cool. I'm just concerned I will put to much in... any thoughts?

the one that came with the arctic freeze bottle. it did not have the adjustable upper/lower range faceplate over the psi scale (wifey picked it up at store while out on errand) so I made sure the outside temp was 80 degrees which was between the 75/85 temp stated in instructions. I mean it is cooling really well inside so I will just hold off adding anymore even though it was below what it called for.

Those gauges have zero reliability, they may as well not be on the can.

Don't put any more in. Keep your fingers crossed. To properly fill an AC you need a low pressure and high pressure gauge, plus need to know ambient temp and outlet temp.

If you need to do it again you have a l;eak and should get it fixed.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know of a good step by step instruction to recharging your a/c? I see lots of what not to do so hopefully I won't make those mistakes. I'm going to replace some o rings and then try to recharge the system. A good how-to link for the common man would be appreciated. thanks