Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just thinking about air

I drive about 30 miles a day on dirt roads and I noticed that after about a month of driving there was a ton of dust and dirt in my air filter box. It seems like the fender well is not the most ideal place to suck air, especially with large off road tires and a dusty road. I was wondering what would be the best alternative would be using the stock air box on a Loyale with SPFI. I have seen some crazy snorkels that go up to the roof and some sweet hot-air cone filters (not). I was thinking of some sort of snorkel that went out the fender and up to the windshield just to get out of the dust.

I have searched a lot for pics and other ideas, but I really haven't come up with a lot. It seems like people talk about it a lot and never go through with it, picture links no longer work, or somebody convinces them it's a bad idea. I understand that too many turns or sharp turns or too much pipe can have negative side effects, but if I was to do a short snorkel of 3" pipe, how could that hurt air flow?

I've run K&N's and was really not happy with how many fines got through. Had em on both a Kawasaki Z1 and a dual Weber BMW 2002. Boy I miss both of those. And they lived on pavement. Maybe if you used the prefilter and cleaned em and reoiled every other week

might be easiest to just unhook the plastic snorkel that goes into the fender and pull from the motor compartment. a trick people used to do was flip the top of the air cleaner so that its pulling from all sides instead of just through the hose. lots of air cleaners get bad in certain spots only.

personally I would go for an air cleaner setup like the weber one. the stock box and hose might collect dust for later where the weber style will not let any settle around the element.

mikaleda has a point. I used to do 40 miles of gravel a day, 20 am, 20 pm...

what if you ran a small diameter duct from the lower front side of the air filter box to behind the grill? lots of things in the way, yes

but you could metal tape over the fender inlet, (easy to go back) and draw your air from the front of the car

sounds like a hole saw and a trip to Ace hardware :burnout:

another thing i have noticed is if someone is in front of me on a dirt road i back off until i'm not sucking dust that their car is kicking up. i have gone from changing my filters with my oil changes to changing them twice a year. just a thought.