Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loayle jerky in 4wd

I haven't driven my 92 loyale in 4wd in 10 months other than a block or two (didn't drive it altogether for 9 months) and now I have noticed some issues with the 4wd. When reversing in 4wd the car is quite jerky and actually caused me to stall. It felt almost like something was locking up or not allowing the car to roll smooth. To me, it felt like it was from the front end.

In further testing, turning in very small circles in 4wd caused some skidding of the rear. Note that it was on dry pavement and I was only testing things out.

Is this happening because of the dry conditions and the 4wd? I don't really drive with 4x except in the snow so I am wondering if I just never had it do that before? Once driving in 2nd, and faster, there have been no questionable noises/ responses in 4x.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Clueless and concerned

Lesson 1 of the part time subaru 4WD.... do not engage 4WD on concrete, bitumen, tarmac or any other hard surface where traction is constant on all the drive wheels.

this causes binding in the gearbox and differentials which translates to jerky movement in small circles or reversing. Take your car to a sand , mud, snow or grassy area and engage the 4WD. You will notice the difference as the 4WD is transfered from the wheel that slips to the wheel that doesn't ( this is how it should work)

TOONGA

2. do not engage or disengege the 4wd while steering. straight line only. do some backwards donuting.

the only exception to use 4wd on pavement is heavy rain at highway speeds. the 4wd is designed to engage/disengage on the fly at any speed.

This is a part time unit with no center diff so obey the rules and don't break your car!

as above.

also, I like to find a gravel road every couple months and engage 4-wheel to just keep parts oiled and rotated, doesn't have to be far, then disengage.

No need to do this - all the 4wd engaging parts are inside the gearbox and are oiled every time you drive your vehicle regardless of 2wd or 4wd modes.

Cheers

Bennie

No need to do this - all the 4wd engaging parts are inside the gearbox and are oiled every time you drive your vehicle regardless of 2wd or 4wd modes.

Cheers

Bennie

This is correct, because all the rear driveline parts rotate during normal driving.....they just freewheel as the car rolls, not connected to the front drive.