Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quiet Riot. My 87 GL-10

AKghandi

What is the longevity of the Turbos on those?

I don't know much about that part of them.

I've always be pretty leery of Turbos.

The turbos are ok AS long as you treat them right-I.E. If you boost them you need to let them cool down [idle] before you shut it off- cool down,the heat kills them, a intercooler helps alot but on the gl"s its a pain to put one on so if its stock you just treat them with care and they"ll be okay you can flog em!!

I had a 85 gl-10 T I built that pushed 12#s of boost and still got 32mpg-that thing was a blast but it liked cv"s & tires, It was sleeper car plain jane [i took all the stickers off-white w/blu.int. BliZZaks didn"t last long on pavement but stuck good after they were bald:headbang::grin: Chevelles didnt stand a chance!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The turbos are ok AS long as you treat them right-I.E. If you boost them you need to let them cool down [idle] before you shut it off- cool down,the heat kills them, a intercooler helps alot but on the gl"s its a pain to put one on so if its stock you just treat them with care and they"ll be okay you can flog em!!

I had a 85 gl-10 T I built that pushed 12#s of boost and still got 32mpg-that thing was a blast but it liked cv"s & tires, It was sleeper car plain jane [i took all the stickers off-white w/blu.int. BliZZaks didn"t last long on pavement but stuck good after they were bald:headbang::grin: Chevelles didnt stand a chance!!

Sweet sounding ride!

Okay that makes sense to me now, I had to due that to the tractor on the farm that had a Turbo on it. :banghead:

Oh trust me I flog the crap out of mine and i do let it cool down for a few minutes after. And yes on the snow and ice no one but a wrx stands a chance.

Civics hate me lol..And I only flog it when it's really cold outside til I get an inter cooler

That being said the only way i'd drive to the states is if I completely rebuilt it and I mean COMLETELY new bushings a motor reseal and so on.

I'd be about 2k into just making the car reliable.

I am going to miss it though. This car has never let me down.

But ea82t with 248k miles is a problem waitin to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDiOco8ettA

Flogging lol

Is there any way to tell if they have been flogged and not having let them cool properly without tearing them appart?

When they have 170,000 on them?

Oh trust me I flog the crap out of mine and i do let it cool down for a few minutes after. And yes on the snow and ice no one but a wrx stands a chance.

Civics hate me lol..And I only flog it when it's really cold outside til I get an inter cooler

That being said the only way i'd drive to the states is if I completely rebuilt it and I mean COMLETELY new bushings a motor reseal and so on.

I'd be about 2k into just making the car reliable.

I am going to miss it though. This car has never let me down.

But ea82t with 248k miles is a problem waitin to happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDiOco8ettA

Flogging lol

I paid $100. for my 85gl10T w/280k-blown mtr. It had been neglected-BAD:horse: Oil was BLACK!! It threw a rod! Chick owned it for 2yrs. I don"t think she ever changed the oil in it-couldn"t see what kind of filter was on it,It was so caked w/crap-she lived 80 mi.1way out of denver, She was 2nd owner, I got it from my buddy that had a JY and got it from her $75. He called me an asked if I wanted it-looked at it-SUPER Clean body-int. so got it! I got a T-mtr.an redid it $1200 in parts hence 12#s boost! Your car should be alright if it"s had the oil changed reg. I did mine 2000-25mi.just because:brow:! Oil leaks can be fixed cheap the most important thing is the cooling hose for the turbo the heat kills them-they get hard-brittle an start leaking! I don"t know your car but if it doesnt have weird noises at cold or hot starts I"d think it would be all right...Your car is worth $$$ in parts down here-if it has a lsd in back $3-400.here rear disc brks. Like I said you know your car,my 90 loy has 190k on it all orig.:D Nate

I have been wanting to start shipping parts south for the less fortunate, there's a yard near here with 7 ea82t cars. and 40 non turbo ea82 cars, I don't think I would make any money though.

my car runs perfect, no odd noises ever. I change the oil every time i get the chance, but theres a couple things I haven't done, the cooling lines are a big one, vacuum lines and I think the separator plate is leaking.. It was a lsd till it was converted to 3.9 dual range versus the 3.7 single range. I didnt know enough back then to even check. lol

I got my car all done, I didnt do the C/vs but they aren't clicking and the boots aren't torn, so I just left them.

FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE!!

I did some wheeling to check everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3LaWCa_i14&feature=youtu.be

Edited by AKghandi
link

Is there any way to tell if they have been flogged and not having let them cool properly without tearing them appart?

When they have 170,000 on them?

Well two things u can do...1 get the oil tested I"m not sure if there is anyone there that can do this. A race car shop? 2 you can pull off the intake tube and see how dirty-wet it is...while that"s off you can check.the turbo and see if the bearings are loose-worn. What happens to make the turbo toast is when it gets flogged and turned off [without cooling it down] is the oil gets cooked in the bearings and that"s the beginning of the end so to say.... Tests-comp.test,do oil press.test,vac.test, that be about it short of rebuilding it:) Or the big test-Drive it till it dies :dead: test. I"ve seen people say they are going to get it tested and drive em for years-oil changes normal maint. and they always say [well it passed this time]:lol::D I don"t say anything just:lol: My 1 buddy has a 4xtoy trk. 250k does oil changes nothing done to motor except time chain and always says I gotta rebuild the mtr. He"s been saying that dance for 7years now...:horse::lol: Nate

Well two things u can do...1 get the oil tested I"m not sure if there is anyone there that can do this. A race car shop? 2 you can pull off the intake tube and see how dirty-wet it is...while that"s off you can check.the turbo and see if the bearings are loose-worn. What happens to make the turbo toast is when it gets flogged and turned off [without cooling it down] is the oil gets cooked in the bearings and that"s the beginning of the end so to say.... Tests-comp.test,do oil press.test,vac.test, that be about it short of rebuilding it:) Or the big test-Drive it till it dies :dead: test. I"ve seen people say they are going to get it tested and drive em for years-oil changes normal maint. and they always say [well it passed this time]:lol::D I don"t say anything just:lol: My 1 buddy has a 4xtoy trk. 250k does oil changes nothing done to motor except time chain and always says I gotta rebuild the mtr. He"s been saying that dance for 7years now...:horse::lol: Nate

Don't forget to check blowby. its easy, just pull the oil fill cap while its running. if there's a lot of air coming out there's some piston ring issues.

when i hold a piece of paper over the oil fill on my car the paper barely moves.

It was alot of fun, i might have to do it again tomorrow! lol

Its right around the corner from my house, if you wanna know exactly where it is PM me. I don't want to expose information like that here on the interwebs:)

Edited by AKghandi

It was alot of fun, i might have to do it again tomorrow! lol

Its right around the corner from my house, if you wanna know exactly where it is PM me. I don't want to expose information like that here on the interwebs:)

:) Thats all fun an good, but it"s not as good as driftin the 83 wgn.RWD:brow:!! Yea that"s right Rear WHL.Drv. It just had stubs in the frt. end but the fun part was it had a LSD in back:banana::lol: But it had 1 Big drawback:(:banghead: It sucked in the snow-like a 2whl. drv.P.U:( So I had to put weight in it to drive around town...But I could do donuts w/out moving E-brk. on:D I bought w/bad frt axles-it wouldnt move:) 50.bucks took the cvs apart put it in 4hi and byebye:banana: I bought it for parts so I didnt fix it!! I actually missed the frt./4whl.drv.action the week I drove it around!! There"s a guy from N.Z,or Aust. w/a 87-8wgn.flogging the crap out of it till a frt.cv broke so he put in 4hi & kept on floggin:horse:

idk, i can get my wag sideways anytime i want. which is all the time!:burnout:

i had an 84 hatchie with bad front axles, so it was rwd, so it would drift all over the place, but being so short it would just spin out. and in the winter it was worthless.

heres it with some 28's never did get to wheel it though, my brother got it impounded..

img0187j.jpg

a few things i did notice is, it rides like a truck now, and my need for an alignment is even more apparent:(

my front C/V joints make angry noises from a stop.:rolleyes:

And without studs it has a little less traction on the ice, oh well, I could drive on bald summer tires and not have a problem. I actually learned how to drive, in winter with a fwd mazda on bald summer tires.:headbang:

Edited by AKghandi

I got my car trimmed for the larger tires, and took it offroad again.:brow:

didn't get any pics because its too dark. but I'm going to be offroading alot more now so i'll make sure you guys dont miss out.:D

:clap:Looks good now:drunk: Now just don"t leave out the stuck ones!! Those are the most entertaining:popcorn::drunk::D

Dont worry, I'm sure there will be few stuck pictures, not many though.

All the mud is frozen.:-\

I like the Mud Holes in the trail:D They look frozen :lol: an your driving being all:cool::headbang: and about 1/2way thru crunch/crack slam.....your in the middle of a ice/water/mud hole:banghead: Are we having fun yet!!! Chit!!

Ha! maybe where your at but its 18 below 0 right now, every thing is completely frozen.:horse: and theres almost no snow... I'm so ticked about that. theres normally like 2feet by now, and for some reason theres only a few inches..

Bummer... Thats the way it"s been down here warm...NO DAMN SNOW at all..Ski resorts are crying the blues- this way last year too!!! I don"t ski but ice skate[hockey] and like the snow:D It"s fun to go wheelin in:clap: Can"t even go fri

ckin ICE Fishing:drunk::banghead: