Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spinning Upper Rear Strut Mount Bolts

That would involve going up a size and finding new hardware, right?
Not necessarily. The threads very well may be damaged beyond hope, but it's worth a shot to tap it with the original size to clean and properly orient the threads, sometimes that works. A new bolt or at the very least, chasing yours with a die to clean the threads to match also. You don't want old damaged bolt threads going into your newly freshened up nut threads.

If that doesn't work then you'll be looking at using a slightly larger tap. In that case a little research might yield a size slightly larger that requires no drilling.

I haven't done much tap and die stuff
once you have a tap and die for the original size threads you just oil up the threads and run the tap through the threads in the vehicle and the die on the bolt threads (the die's i've seen are all 1" so you need a 1" socket).

ask around, post on facebook, maybe one of your friends has a tap and die set?

if you have to or want to bump up a size to avoid doing this work twice...basically the same process except you drill out the hole first for the new/larger tap. won't be much to drill though since you'll want to bump up just a little bit. then you'll need new bolts to match.

you can also helicoil the threads to repair them to the original size. google that, very common and info has to be everywhere.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll give a report back when I get this done. Current project is to finish stripping the crashed 86 D/R and get the hull towed out of the driveway. That will allow me to get running cars all the way up into the garage again, so i can stop working outside in nasty weather.

Then I've only got half a dozen other projects...:D