Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'99 Legacy GT cranks, won't fire

1999 Legacy GT wagon, auto trans.  Engine cut off while driving.  Cranks but won't fire.  No spark.  During cranking compression "sounds" normal, and not like a broken timing belt.   We also have a '98 Legacy Limited and I've substituted the ignition coil, crank position sensor, cam position sensor from car-to-car but still no spark.   Anyone have ideas what I should check next?

Fusible link and under hood fuses are the first things I would check, then I would check ECM fuse in the interior fuse box if yours has it. If that fails I would have the codes scanned and see if there's anything there, and if all that fails, then you start verifying what's not there that should be, there are three thing an engine needs to fire compression, fuel, and spark.

Appreciate your suggestion Mikaleda;  I checked ignition fuse at interior fuse panel....there's power on both sides of that fuse.  I'm thinking of attempting to swap ECM from our '98 Legacy to the '99.    Does anyone know where ECM is located on these vehicles? There is a box with 2 large electrical connectors on inside of firewall to left of brake pedal... but I think I read somewhere that ECM might be in passenger side footwell on these vehicles...can anyone confirm?

Thanks for your reply as well, Mr Eggleston.  The only "module" on the engine compartment side of the firewall on these two cars is that little automatic trans controller that's mounted to a metal extension off of the firewall.  I think the days when cars had those ignitors dates back to when engines had distributors---at least I think that's the case...

nope. there are no trans control items on the fire wall.

95 - 98, there is an igniter. iirc, a few wires on one end and more on the other.

but usually they fail in halves, the same way they feed the coil. so this may not be your issue.

try starting fluid. if it fires, it is a fuel issue.

check the timing .

Edited by johnceggleston

Mr Eggleston:  my apologies....all these years I thought that little controller on the firewall was for the auto. trans.   I have a copy of the Subaru shop manual showing that this part is in fact the ignitor.  So shame on me for not consulting the manual.

I'll try substituting the ignitor from our '98 to the '99 tomorrow and let you know what happens..

Thanks again...

if the TB slipped several teeth, a strip of paper held at the tailpipe will likely try to 'suck in' while cranking.

also, do you smell fuel out the tailpipe? If not, the ecu definitely is not happy with something or you have no fuel pressure.

CEL on? what's the code?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Mr Eggleston's suggestion to check the igniter was (damn near) spot-on.  We are the original owners of this car and it's unadulterated, and in nice shape.  When I looked at the igniter, the problem became obvious:  the factory routed the harness very tightly across the top of the igniter, and apparantly over time that caused one of the five wires within the gray hardshell connector to the igniter to pull out of the connector (black wire with white hash marks).  I removed the hardshell connector from the igniter and used a tiny screwdriver tip to press that wire and its rubber "weatherpac" seal firmly back into the hardshell.   Engine started right up. 

thank you, Mr Eggleston, and others as well, for all of your help .