Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok I am at a crossroads here i have the option of getting either a 92 awd loyale or a 93 awd legacy, both for the same price $800. No i wanna do the lift and lil bigger tires but i am not sure which would be better to get to do this to and make a sweet soob outta. Especially when it comes to suspension changes and rims. Also are which is better mechanicaly? I have never owned a soob and have been searching for one for a long time the right one and now I dont know which one to get. Please help with some info to make my choice a lil easier. Thanks

loyale wasnt awd.  it was push button 50/50 unless it was an automatic tranny.  The legacy makes 40 more hp than the loyale, but the 5 speed uses a viscous coupler for the all wheel drive.  I have both cars and I offroad both of them and I prefer the 50/50 4wd over the all wheel any day of the week.  

If you get the loyale, it'd be worth spending the money to buy a 5 speed dual range tranny (hi and lo 4wd).  Trying to wheel with the legacy not having the dual range limits what tires to you turn.  I have 29"s on my Outback and I've killed one 5 speed already by stripping the reverse gear off the main shaft.  Happened 100% due to the fact that I didnt have low range.  

If its an automatic, they can be hacked so they run 50/50 front and rear just like the loyale 5 speed and the legacy 5 speed when the coupler is locked up.  I'm starting to lean towards putting a 4.44 ratio tranny in my Outback just because of the fact that line pressure building is less stressful on the drive train vs side stepping the clutch.  

How big of lift/tires are you thinking?.   EJ suspension is superior to EA suspension but the EA body imo is a stronger body.  I've beat on my 86 GL wagon for 14 years and its still alive.  half those years have been lifted and it was ran as a daily driver up until last year when I welded the rear diff.    The ideal car would be a legacy with a dual range tranny in it.  That way you are getting the best of both cars.  EJ suspension and power and then the lower gearing to help turn bigger tires.  Not to mention having optional 2wd is nice :)

Thats what I thought about the loyale that they were all 4wd. The guy thats selling it says its awd. As for the legacy its automatic. I am leanin toward the legacy cause I have heard its hard to find different rims that will fit the loyale bolt pattern. I would like to put 15" rims with 205 rather than the stock 175s. as for the 4wd to awd i would perfer the 4wd. Most guys I have talked to say its easier to swap soob suspension parts onto the legacy than it is with the loyale.

its easier than you think to find rims for the loyale. all you have to do is convert the hubs to six lug. to do that you knock out 2 studs that are diaganal to each other then bolt the hub to a six lug wheel then make your marks to drill it out then drill them out with a drill press. after that put the studs back on plus two more you will want to tack weld the studs on to hold them on. or you could knock out 2 studs then drill out two new holes in a steel 6 lug rim to keep the 4 lug setup with 15 inch wheels.

everything else being equal - the legacy.

auto - you can "lock it" 50/50 like he mentioned, info in other threads here, very simple to install your own switch and a great modification.

wheel and tire options all day long - any 1990+ legacy, impreza, forester, baja, WRX (except 2005+) will bolt right up.

better strut and brake options and set ups.  easier to work on struts, axles, etc.

more reliable timing belt set up...much better engine all the way around.  those EJ22's are amazing..if you don't run it out of oil or coolant you basically get as many miles as you care to maintain it for.

those early legacy's are amazing for inexpensive practical reliability.  very robust vehicles that easily crank out lots of miles, not any big ticket items to worry about, very few issues...of course it's 20 years old so prior maintenance is your main concern.  if it's in good shape (which $800 does not suggest it is....but anyway) - keep it that way and it'll treat you well.

Damn it just when I thought I figured it out now you guys got me switchin my choice. I do dig the legacys, at first i really wasnt sure on them then over the last year they really grew on me. Thank you guys for the input  I really appreciate it. We will see what this weekend brings. Thanks Guys

in the end:

95 Lego Wagon

EG33

4EAT 4.44 with center diff control    - goin automatic since Line pressure building is less stress than dumping the clutch

Welded rear diff

6 inch lift

1.5" spacers

offset 15 inch wheels and 31x8,5x15 TSL's

2003-06 Forester struts + King springs

if I had the $ to build another

Edited by torxxx