Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Skunk2 Adjustable Coilovers on an XT

Has anyone used these to lower an  EA car?  I just put some Suburban rims on my XT and the fit is amazing.  The rims are 16 x 7 and fits inside and outside perfect.  Car can be slammed.  I just want to go down about another inch from the FWD suspension.  I've used the cheapo Honda coilovers in the past with mixed results. These don't appear much different, but anyone know anything about the Skunk2's?

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/aljezulu/media/redstuff005_zps97d17e5f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Edited by redXTwedgie

Wow those look awesome!  

I know the honda coilovers will work on the rear but not sure about the front.  Is it still xt6 struts and steering knuckles?  I had my loyale lowered using xt6 streering knuckles, but they have no camber adjustments.  What wheels are on the legacy in your album?  I like those too.

Wow those look awesome!  

I know the honda coilovers will work on the rear but not sure about the front.  Is it still xt6 struts and steering knuckles?  I had my loyale lowered using xt6 streering knuckles, but they have no camber adjustments.  What wheels are on the legacy in your album?  I like those too.

Hey Thanks.  I was definately wanting to stay with something directional because I think that directional look best with this body style.  After those photos I spent two weeks refinishing them, but if I took more photos they wouldn't look any different than in these photos :( .  Except up close they look waayyyyy better. :)   There were some bad oxidation spots from past wheel weights so I went nuts.  They are 16x7 with 45 mm offset.

I just have stock XT suspension w/ FWD struts.

The rims on my Outback(For Sale BTW) are from a Neon SRT-4 and are 17x6 with 45 mm offset and fit very nicely with 205/50-17s.

You should really be looking for a strut and spring paired up. Most coilover setups have a shorter strut paired up with the spring, so the strut still has travel when the spring is spun down. Many times when you put a sleeve setup on a stock height strut you'll lower the spring too much and you'll be riding on the bump stop.

You should really be looking for a strut and spring paired up. Most coilover setups have a shorter strut paired up with the spring, so the strut still has travel when the spring is spun down. Many times when you put a sleeve setup on a stock height strut you'll lower the spring too much and you'll be riding on the bump stop.

Yeah, that's what I don't like about those sleeve-style is the lack of travel.  I think I would have to do a five lug swap to use the combo style coilover.  

I did a little research and pre-2002 civic struts have a 50mm dia.  2002-on are 55mm.  You can measure your strut and see which of those would fit best.  The coilover sleeves are oversized and come with big o-rings to snug them up.  I hope that helps

I did a little research and pre-2002 civic struts have a 50mm dia.  2002-on are 55mm.  You can measure your strut and see which of those would fit best.  The coilover sleeves are oversized and come with big o-rings to snug them up.  I hope that helps

Thanks Carl.  I think I have a spare pair of the cheap ebay coilovers I can throw on the front just to see how it looks.

Oh, you drilled the wheels?

Do you have a photo of that?

Id be interested in how much meat is left in the wheel and what size the center bore is.

I tried to drill the hub and bought a $20 drill bit that only got me through one hole in the hub.  For the record, IRWIN tools are now made in China like everything else.  So I opted for 8 holes in aluminum instead of 16 in steel.  

The center bore was about 78mm on the rims.  I ground the tabs off of the hubs instead of boring out the center hole on the rims.  Machine shop wanted $150 to increase the bore.  I ran away from there.  I'm Poor.  I probably should have shopped around a bit.  The mounting flange of the rim is very thick, lots of meat.

End is result is no vibrations at all.  Also, I added about 12.5 lbs at each corner from the 13" steelies with 155sr13's.  Doesn't quite leave the line the same, but won't matter once my frankenmotor is in there.  :lol: