Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should we move our Outbacks or sell them here?

Hi there,
I have a different kind of question for you guys.  I'm moving from Central Oregon to possibly San Antonio Texas soon.  My wife and I both have Outbacks, Mine is a 2000 with 210,000 miles and her's is a 1998 with 174,000 miles on it.  I wondering if we should sell them here where the seem to sell for more money, or just take them or one of them to Texas with us?  It will take as much or more money in gas to drive them there as a plane ticket would cost.

Looking on Craigslist, I don't see many Subarus for sale in Texas, but when I do they seem a lot cheaper than what they go for here.

I appreciate your thought's on this

Todd Smith
toddsmith541@yahoo.com

If you really want to get rid of them then do it in Oregon.  Don't forget to also list them in cities in Washington if it is near your location. 

When I bought my Outback I actually looked all around Arizona to find one cheaper but only found a few that didn't pan out. 

Thanks for the comments.  I might try putting them up for sale for local market value and see.  If they don't sell in time, I can have a friend sell them for me or take one or both.  I need the all wheel drive here, but I won't in Texas, so it would open my options for lower cost economical transportation.  We do love our Subarus though.

-Todd 

Keep yours, sell hers and drive one to Texas.  The 2000 is a better car with a better engine IMO and that way you can both ride in 1 car, buy no plane tickets and only pay ownership transfer once on one car.  Its just nicer to have a car already when you are trying to find another and move into a new place.  

Oh and stay in Oregon.  Texas comments above-I agree with!   :)

And AWD is better on dry pavement too.  More stable and it does rain there.  Additionally you probably have to drive to visit family in a place where they have winter so maybe that is enough reason to have it too.  

• Like 1

Oregon prices are high - sell it!   if the 98 is a 2.5 i would also sell that one.  i'd be tempted to sell both based on oregon pricing as well.

i'd keep however many allow you to make a good purchase when you get there.

a caveat to the price difference is that if you're forced to buy a car quick when you get there you're unlikely to get a good deal and the financial component is a wash.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I thought I would follow up with an update after being here in Texas around three months.  I ended up driving the 2000 OB the 2000 miles here and keeping it.  We had to replace the cat to pass emissions, but the car is running so nice and we're glad to be keeping it.  My wife sold the 98 OB to someone who was willing to pick it up the night before my wife flew out to Texas.  All is good!..-Todd