Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have replaced auto antennas before, but not on a Leggie.  Your main issue is matching up the antenna mount with the existing hole drilled in the body work, if that is your thought. I had a 91 Leggie wagon, and remember that the antenna mount was through the roof. You don't want to do something that ruins the water proof seal to allow rain water to enter the roof of your car, and get the car interior wet. Also, snaking the new coax cord down from the roof to the back of the radio would be challenging. Upon that thought, you prolly will be better off mounting the shark fin somewhere else.

Suggest you look at the mounting instructions for the shark fin. I bet the instructions can give you ideas on how, and where to install. A front fender is not very cool looking location, but does give ready access to the top and bottom of the fender for installation, and makes it easy to snake the coax through the firewall to gain entry to the car interior.

90 legacy L is a Manuel antenna and it is in the roof. tie a piece of bailing wire to the end of the old attend wire before you pull it out then when you pull out the old wire you can connect the new wire to the bailing wire and pull it right through this saves alot of time. I would use some rtv where the antenna mounts it would be a good way to make a new seal around the antenna

Edited by mikaleda

i've previously tried to replace the antenna but its a challenge running through the driver side windshield panel my antenna cable to the head unit was to short i got a little impatient one day and yanked the s*** outta that wire now i gotta flicker and hold the wire from under the carpet just to get a local radio station. that being said i'm now just trying to get a reliable more efficient antenna without the big goofy bulky such as the fin or the short rubber ones i do appreciate the advice...