Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 loyale died

Turns over, timing belt fine, all fuses good. Was driving to work and car just died no spitting or sputtering just dead in the water. Pulled off freeway driving down road went to turn on side street and noticed it was hard to turn looked down and tach was at 0. Let out clutch in second gear and no fire. Puled over to side of road and cranked it over for a few seconds. Towed it home checked the things above now throwing it out there to ya'll.

Had this same rotor issue the day I replaced the push-button with the hi/lo transmission...got two miles down the road and went "ok, WTF...did I do???". Also mistook it for low gas/water in gas, among other things. A tow and a $75 mechanic fee later I felt really sheepish. The clutch, transmission, and axles are still kicking butt, btw. ShawnW replaced the passenger hub and corrected one angle-washer a bit after, but otherwise...yeah. Sheepish!

Sorry... that wasn't my intention.  :mellow: 

When I first readed this thread's title, I was thinking about a Dying ignition Module, So I was about to suggest this Writeup on the Subject: ~► Here.

But I'm Glad that it was an Easy Fix... the Screw that Holds the Rotor... I was surprised that I Never think about those...

Kind Regards.

Sorry... that wasn't my intention.  :mellow: 

When I first readed this thread's title, I was thinking about a Dying ignition Module, So I was about to suggest this Writeup on the Subject: ~► Here.

But I'm Glad that it was an Easy Fix... the Screw that Holds the Rotor... I was surprised that I Never think about those...

Kind Regards.

LOL. I know man. No offense taken.

Prior to my Subaru, I had never even seen a rotor that used a set screw. I was used to all the old American cars I had that all seemed to use keyed rotor shafts and rotors that just snapped in.  It didn't really mean much to me unti the screw kept coming off.

• Like 1

I am reasonably sure that it was meant as a happy comment, a form of "laughing at myself" sarcasm.  Idioms do not translate well, do they?

Cheers!

LOL. I know man. No offense taken.

Prior to my Subaru, I had never even seen a rotor that used a set screw. I was used to all the old American cars I had that all seemed to use keyed rotor shafts and rotors that just snapped in.  It didn't really mean much to me unti the screw kept coming off.

Thank you for your kind replies... I don't recall to see another Distribuitor with a Rotor Held in Place by a Screw, only those Hitachis.

I Don't Like Hitachi Stuff too Much, from Carburetors to Hard Disk Drives... Hitachis are problematic stuff, especially with age.

Sorry again... this time for Hijack this thread.

Kind Regards.

Thank you for your kind replies... I don't recall to see another Distribuitor with a Rotor Held in Place by a Screw, only those Hitachis.

I Don't Like Hitachi Stuff too Much, from Carburetors to Hard Disk Drives... Hitachis are problematic stuff, especially with age.

Sorry again... this time for Hijack this thread.

Kind Regards.

Well now we, and Hitachi (hopefully) understand why not to use screws on fast spinning rotor shafts.  Just another thing to look out for on my list of things that can possibly go wrong. I have decided that if I ever have to replace the rotor, I am getting a new set screw. That and some loctite. Kind of a moot point on newer cars though as they have no distributor.

• 2 years later...

Ive got an 86 spfi at. It keeps dying while driving. Just tuned it about 3k ago. Replaced all consumables n such(t belts also). Drives like a beast. First sudden death i thought it was low oil sensor. Put a quart in and it started. Ran for a while and died again relized wasnt oil sensor as oil wasnt low at all. Tightened rotor screw( should say put it back in) on my own hunch. Started. Ran beautifully for a day and died again. Not the screw this time. Doesnt sound like sparking at all. Codes 11 16 46. Wheres neutral switch. Doubt its timing belt because it runs perfect when it does. Btw 170k only