Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pressure - Seems High To Me

1990 EA 82 EFI engine

I was concerned that the idiot gauge in the dash cluster was twisted up so I installed a real gauge.

Reads 67 lbs cold.  Have not run it up to temperature since I put the gauge in so I dont have a warm pressure reading.

I use Shell Rotella oil 15-40 . Oil pressure seems pretty high to me.What would cause such a high pressure?

What do you guys think?

Oldmics

Edited by Oldmics

Thats fine.

Cold start you will see high pressures.  Thats what the pressure relief valve in the pump is for.

Dont worry about cold start pressure readings.  Worry about HOT readings.  At idle, and at revs.

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever heard of an ea82 that had problems with too high of oil pressure it's usually to low :lol: but on a serious note bing it up to temp and see what the pressure is, I bet it will drop down to normal readings.

Sounds right for cold.....especially with Rottella 15-40........you do know that's diesel oil right?

It's recommended to run 10-40 in the summer or 10-30 in the cold winter.  15-40 is too thick, you get high pressure, but slow flow to the bearings which can actually starve them. And will hurt gas mileage. 

• Like 1

The real gauge says 20 at idle and its still up around 60 when at hiway speeds.

I"m O.K. with those readings.

The original dash gauge would only show 80 pounds all the time and would not register the 20 at idle.

I"m not gonna worry about the dash gauge and will just rely on the newly installed real gauge.

I am aware of the Rotella oil being compounded for diesel applications.I purchase it by the drum for my trucks and antique cars since it has a high quanity of ZDDP for solid lifter machines.

Oldmics

Edited by Oldmics

• 2 weeks later...