Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement Antenna (or mast)

Anyone out there have a used power antenna assembly (or functioning mast) that they care to sell? For a 1999 Legacy Sedan.
Are you sure you need the whole antenna? The antenna itself is easy to replace if it has broken off. If the motor is fine it is a piece of cake!

(My wife likes to listen to the radio in the car wash!)

I think the motor is ok... mast has been bent for MANY weeks so everytime it powers up/down there is a few clicks at each end (stripping the gears maybe). One way or another the clicking has to go.

Carwash huh? Try this dance:

1. Lift bike off roof rack

2. lower wheel over antenna mast tangling mast with spokes

3. bend mast to 45 degree angle

4. curse loudly

Odds are good you need only replace the mast.

Unscrew the cover. (It's a little chrome piece) Turn the radio on and off until the mast comes out. It's OK to help it. When it comes out you will see that the bottom of the mast is just a plastic track. It's really clever the way it works.

I'll bet you will see the stripped spots! It is a common replacement part.

To replace it push the new mast in. Turn the radio on and off a few times until it goes all the way down. Replace the cover.

It's easy. Take the old one out and take it to the dealer. The masts for the wagon and sedan are different and do not interchange. The dealer gave me one for the sedan as he didn't think I looked like a wagon sort of guy! I couldn't figure out why it didn't work until I put them side by side.

Car washes have been around long before antennas started going up and down. And if it knocks its off you are still no worse than you are now, needing an antenna. mine has been unpluged for around five years and I have washed it in automatic car washs.

• 2 years later...
i unscrewed the top part to my power antenna, can i replaCE it with just a mast?

Get SIRIUS and forget about it. I use the FM tuner on my receiver in my 99OBS and always got static in the same places everyday on the way home. Found out if i just push my antenna all the way in (my antenna isnt power, it slides in and out by the windsheild), I get perfectly clear signal everywhere!! oh... except at the carwash, overhead structures block the incomming signal :( Bababooeeee!!