Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Impreza, door open lights on, key off

Asking this for a friend, Harve, who wrenches on cars for extra cash. Not much Subaru experience.

Lady brought the car over with the passenger door open light on. Says it stays on even with the key off.

Harve worked the switch by hand a couple of times, and the light finally went out. Had the lady open/shut the drivers door, and the passenger one lit up again.

She asked Harve if he could just unplug the switch(s), and he did so. No more door open light.

That was a week ago.

Lady brought the car back this past Tuesday, with all of the door open lights on, even with the key off.

Harve is at a loss on this. I'm thinking some kind of back feed in the wiring, possibly a bad alt.

I have no experience with any Subaru's other than EA81 and EA82 models.

Thoughts and ideas are greatly welcomed.

start by disconnecting all the switches at each door?

has there ever been any water intrusion?  window/door left open/broken?

I do believe Harve disconnected all of the door switches, but I can't say that for sure.

Nothing mentioned about possible water intrusion.

Does she have the factory "Code Alarm" keyless? Because it has a delay dome light that causes the door ajar light.

I really have no idea myself on "options" of this vehicle. Just know what Harve has said.

I'll do my best to get back with him over the weekend, see if I can glean any more info.

Do appreciate the thoughts sofar..........................

Harve was out of town for the weekend.

4 door sedan, all 4 door switches are unplugged, no knowledge of water intrusion.

He is going to ask owner about that and the keyless "code alarm" thing.

Says it's just the dash outline of the car showing the doors are open, nothing else is on.

Edited by TomRhere

I am curious about this one myself - noticed the same thing happening with our 98 Forester when I had a battery in it recently - dash "door ajar" indicator stayed on after key was off & w/all doors closed (this one does have the keyless entry stuff installed)

Harve called the owner yesterday to ask more questions, she literally chewed him a new one because he didn't fix it before and is asking her all these questions.

I guess he was just suppose to know what the issue is.

I won't be asking any more questions about this, but it would be nice if the thread continues so heartless and any others can fix their vehicles.

Thanks for your time.

As a followup on mine - I believe it was related to the keyless entry/alarm setup.

Noticed that there was a rythmic clicking under the dash yesterday - like a relay clicking on & off repeatedly - even with no key in the ignition. I found a plastic control box up under there with two plug-ins - 1 fairly large (15 or more wires), 1 smallish (6 or fewer wires), also had an empty socket for a 4 pole plug. After making sure that the clicking I was hearing was definitely coming from that box, i unplugged the wires from it.

Clicking is gone & dash indicator goes out immediately when doors are closed.

Have not had a chance to pull that plastic box out of there, but will get some pics and report back when I do.