Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: ignition switch removal '84 DL

Everything I've read so far does not apply to a DL. My ignition switch is mounted facing OUTWARD from the dash and is totally different from all the column mounted ignition switches I've read about and seen pictures of.

After removing the plastic cover and unplugging the back of the ignition switch, how does the assembly come off of the steering column? It's attached by a big clamp that has a Phillips screw and some kind of threaded pin in the other side that seems impossible to remove. Shouldn't there just be a screw there? I can't get a screwdriver into the back of the ignition switch to remove those 2 screws because there's no room. Do I have to drop the column?

It appears I have figured out how to remove it!!! I was thinking the entire assembly was removable but only the cylinder slips out of the housing. I am going to get help from somebody who knows what they're doing because it came out in a bunch of small pieces. I was hoping I could stick a flathead screw driver in there after it was removed and use it to turn the ignition off but it's still stuck. Could that mean it's the ignition switch and not just the cylinder?

no the switch is just a piece of plastic essentially with wires soldered to the back. Try moving your steering wheel a little to release the lock mechanism while trying to turn the ignition.

Yeah that's what I had to do. There wasn't really any room so dropping the column was the only option. Also got rid of the steering wheel lock, and now I can stick the little bone shaped piece into the hole with a pair of pliers and crank it. I definitely need a new key switch... may know where one is.

And if you've ever seen the interior of a 2nd gen Leone DL, you've seen the dash mounted key switch.

part of the problem is if its anything like the gl ignition there was a pin holding it in so it wouldn't come out in one piece, after you drill it out and pull on it with a pick it slides out nice and easy most of the time. is the switch monted like a 1st gen?

Not sure how a first gen is mounted, but there's a thick bracket attached to the steering column and the key cylinder is mounted to the end of that but facing outwards towards the driver. And yes I had to drill that pin out. Also dropped the column and ripped out the sheet metal plug (kinda looks like a freeze plug) to get rid of the steering wheel lock. For now the pliers are working fine, but I may try to jb weld the little bone shaped piece of metal to the end of a screwdriver and roll with that.