Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help please newbie

Thank you for looking i have a 1987 subaru dl carb motor ea82 i cant get fire to the coil it was running great got in it one day and it had a bad miss wouldnt hardly run after it got to running temp it would die and not start back let it set for about 30mins start it drive it a little way and die again finnaly got her home and it wouldnt start at all put a accell coil off a ford truck on it it ran for a couple of days and just died never started back no fire any where changed coil still no fire im stumped any help would be great the disty has 2 boxes in side hitachi denso i think 2 wires come out into a round plug to disty and ftom disty to another round plug to under dash sumwhere ??????

Edit:  As pointed out in a later post by Naru, carb'd cars do not have a separate ignitor.  Thanks, Naru!

A couple common issues is a bad ground to the "ignitor", and a bad "ignitor".  (The ignitor is the switching transistor used to operate the coil.)   The ignitor is mounted on the coil bracket, and it is common for the grounding of the coil bracket to get flakey.

Edited by NorthWet

Carbed cars do not have a coil bracket mounted transistor.

Got spark?

I think you fried the module inside the disty.They can be sensitive to coil choice.

Check by putting a test light on coil -,while cranking.

If it flashs,you are golden.

If it stays on w/o flashing,module is bad.

If it stays off w/attached to coil +,it is a power problem.

If it stays off on coil -,but,lights on coil +,coil is fried.

Original problem likely unrelated,IMO.