Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy fuel leak and timing belt

I bought a 1992 Subaru Legacy wagon this past week. When I bought the car I was told there was no issues with it. Four days after I got it I found that there was a gas leak coming from around the filler neck it is the metal part that goes into the tank it is rusted and there is a pin hole in it. I was wondering if this is part of the filler neck or its own piece. As I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible. Also I was wondering if I should get the timing belt done. The car has 192116 miles on it and the timing belt was done back at 116217 miles. If that needs to be is there anything else I should check? I know I need to get the water pump done when I do the timing belt but I wanted to make sure there are no future issues down the road besides general maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You have 75k miles on a belt most likely rated for 60k, so yes it should probably be changed. I think you can go for the 105k mile belt if one is available for it. Otherwise, change the belt and idlers. That engine is non interference so if it breaks, it's not a big deal except the tow.  The fill neck is one complete part and $80 from the aftermarket. Common rust out due to a guard Subaru put up in there.

Thanks everyone I was thinking of doing all that. I'm not sure though whether it has a 105,000 one or a 60,000 one I'm probably going to do it very soon. I just replaced the alternator today as it siezed while I was in a busy intersection. I ended up having to get it towed and I was driving all over the place trying to find luckily there was one left up in Middletown but it was quite a drive out of my way. It's up and running now but I still have to fix the fuel leak that the guard caused.